1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cookie Tin water heater

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hinkjc, Nov 24, 2008.

1. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Quote:Ether rip a tail light housing out of any car or go to the part store an ask for a 1156 or 1157 an a matching socket for it. I would advise 1156 because it is only 2 wire an cant be wired wrong, the 1157 is 3 wire.
    http://autorepair.about.com/library/graphics/bulbs1.jpg

2. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think the 12 volt will through enough heat from the bulb, but if it does, the battery wont last long.

Cookie tins are the way to go, they work and if you put them together right and use them inside your coop they should not give you any problems. Also with the switch socket you can just turn them off on warm days, or just pull the plug if you use a none switch socket.

I use a drill and push lightly but firmly to drill the holes for the socket and cord, then i take a file and file the edges nice and smooth in and around the holes..I also wrap a little electrical tape around the cord where it goes into the tin so the hole's edge does not rub through the cord after years of use.

The bulbs are 25 to 40 watt Candelabra bulbs and the socket is the same size as any light fix you have in the house, we use bulbs that fit into our chandelier type light over the dinning table.

One switch light socket, cost $4.25 at true value hardware
    1 cookie tin about 2 bucks or less
    1 8ft light duty extension cord 1.99 on sale at true value
    1 40 watt bulb about buck or two

so about $10.00 to make one that works.. [​IMG]

thats a deal and you can build 4-5 of them for the price of one that a feed store sells

Im sure if you do alot of yard sale hunting you can even build for less...

Charlie

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

I made a incubator using a 12v 1156 bulb and a pc fan. It got plenty warm enough to make a thermostat necessary. I got about 24 hours out of a cheep car battery but opted to run it on a old radio power cord.

I bet you could get enough heat from a flashlight bulb wired to a battery an placed in the water to keep it from freezing at least in my latitude.

12v DC or 110v AC? What ever your comfortable with I guess.

Edited because my brain don't work sometimes:D

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  4. wilds of pa

Yup you could try the 12 v and see, it doesn't hurt to try, the cookie tins have worked for us....you could always hook the battery up to a small solar panel to keep a charge in the battery as well.

Charlie

5. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I saw this idea years ago on the other BYC from some one else and my DH decided to make them as well. Over the years he has made them better, but we got a bunch of cookie tins at Arc stores or Good Will and some after Christmas at Walmart for $1.00 each.

I have used up to a 40watt light bulb in mine and have them plugged into a thermocube so that they only kick on below 35°F
    They have been a godsend, no more frozen waterers. I did buy two real store boiught ones though for my 3 gallon rubber buckets though.

6. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Great idea. Thanks for posting.

7. wilds of pa

Yup i posted them on the other byc as well, a few years ago,..

Charlie

8. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    I just made 6 of these last night!! Total:$50 [​IMG] awesome idea

9. Sylvie

Sylvie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Ohio
    I only have an extension cord running to my coop. It is not hard wired with a GFI. Can I just plug this into the powerstrip I have out there without a GFI?

10. Rae_37066

Rae_37066 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2008
    Gallatin, TN
    What happens with the cord? does it run on the floor under the bedding? can the chickens peck through it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by