Cookie Tin water heater

Thats a great idea! I am going to try that.
yippiechickie.gif

you could run the cord through a pvc pipe or an empty soda bottle so the chickens could not peck them. this is a great idea. i am so sick of frozen water already. i have tins, sockets, and plastic pipe on hand so these will cost me nothing!!

Quote:
Like you, I had everything on hand so it cost me nothing, but deffinately worth the fifteen minutes it took to find the drill bit and the five I spent putting it together. It works great. I've been using mine for a month and it has never failed. Such a simple solution to such a big problem.

In my head I thank the genius who put this together and posted it every time I head out to the coop to find water not frozen.

my buddy made one of these and it worked great through the whole cold snap we had here, almost 2 weeks below freezing and a few nights in the teens. i may make one for just to make one.

It works GREAT !! I put one together 2 weeks ago, and it kept the water from freezing. We had single digit temps for a few days. Instead of the 40 watt, I am using a 60 watt bulb. I noticed with those temps, the water was freezing around the rim of the water level. So the wattage just needs to be adjusted according to the temp outside. Cost me $5.00 total and it is a GREAT idea!! Thanks for the suggestion!
thumbsup.gif

i have a wall outlet in my coop. we have an outside outlet on our house. we ran a heavy duty orange extension cord underground from outlet to outlet. i do not know much about electricity. will i be ok to run two or three of these tins? the outlet in the coop will let me plug in 4 cords. the only thing i use it for now is a light when i am in the coop.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom