Cookie Tin water heater

Pics
I just don't believe it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a "test" this past weekend I figured I'd try out my cookie tin heater I made late last winter (even before we had chicks I believe). On Friday night I sat the cookie tin on a flipped-over milk crate, added a 5 gallon bucket with about 2 gallons of water and a plastic lid. Put the entire thing outside on my patio right in all the elements. With the HIGH temp over the last 3 days at only 28 degrees the darn water DID NOT freeze!!!!!!!!!

Inside the cookie tin is a 60 watt bulb. The tin doesn't even feel warm on the sides!!! I took the bucket off the top of the tin and it's just a tiny bit warm (TINY BIT!).

How in the world that this thing works when it's been TOTALLY outside on a milk crate that has many holes in the crate so wind and cold can get in and around from underneath.

I just don't get how it works!!!!!! But it does!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to leave it plugged in till Friday and check it again. The temps aren't supposed to get over 25 degrees and we expect about 8" of snow in the next 48 hours. We will see how she does.............

Thermocube? Neat device. I learned something new today, because I did not know anything that convenient was available for purchase.

Thanks JackE for the great tip.

The heat is on!

I purposely bought a cookie tin at Kmart this week (kids can have the cookies for after-school snacks). However, I don't really need a water heater, but a brooder heater. Think there's enough heat to do something like that? It probably doesn't make enough heat for newly hatched chicks since that would need to be up around 90-100 degrees. Is this idea too hairbrained?

CG

I purposely bought a cookie tin at Kmart this week (kids can have the cookies for after-school snacks). However, I don't really need a water heater, but a brooder heater. Think there's enough heat to do something like that? It probably doesn't make enough heat for newly hatched chicks since that would need to be up around 90-100 degrees. Is this idea too hairbrained?

CG

Well how would you use it? If you set it in the floor of the brooder wouldn't the bedding catch on fire? I assume you brooder is in the house (unless you are in a warm climate right now)?

Why not just spend $10 bucks and get the heat lamp & reflector cover that you can hang or clip on? It seems that it would be much safer than a cookie tin.

Calling all Backyard Chicken subscribers — Remember that we all use incandescent light bulbs to heat our coop water heaters, and next month in the U.S., 40-watt and 60-watt incandescent bulbs will no longer be stocked in stores. You can buy them until there are no more left, but when they're gone, they're gone. So until someone comes up with a replacement heater that screws into a light socket, we'll only have the 40s and 60s that we've managed to stockpile.

I'm open to suggestions on replacement heaters with similar heat output. Anyone have any ideas? It's time!

Calling all Backyard Chicken subscribers — Remember that we all use incandescent light bulbs to heat our coop water heaters, and next month in the U.S., 40-watt and 60-watt incandescent bulbs will no longer be stocked in stores. You can buy them until there are no more left, but when they're gone, they're gone. So until someone comes up with a replacement heater that screws into a light socket, we'll only have the 40s and 60s that we've managed to stockpile.

I'm open to suggestions on replacement heaters with similar heat output. Anyone have any ideas? It's time!

Our government at work, because as I'm sure we all understand, THEY know what's best for US.

I've wondered how long I'd be able to use the bulbs I have, knowing eventually the incandescent ones would be gone. I've gotten the 40 watt 'frige/oven bulbs because the old 60-75 watt bulbs (cleaned out grandma's house about a decade ago and we've been using the stockpile of light bulbs since then) shattered.

CG

I've wondered how long I'd be able to use the bulbs I have, knowing eventually the incandescent ones would be gone. I've gotten the 40 watt 'frige/oven bulbs because the old 60-75 watt bulbs (cleaned out grandma's house about a decade ago and we've been using the stockpile of light bulbs since then) shattered.

CG
Your incandescent bulbs can last quite awhile if used intermittently (perhaps 2-3 years). The circuits of my coop water heater and the trouble light I use in the tub of my washing machine (in an unheated space) are controlled by a ThermoCube model TC-3, which turns the lights on at 35 degrees F and off at 45 F.
But I digress. If you'd like to buy what's left of the regular 40- or 60-watt bulbs, your best bet is probably the smaller grocery, drug, or hardware stores. "Big-box" stores are likely sold out of them forever at this point.

The good news is that some specialty incandescent bulbs — appliance bulbs, rough service bulbs, marine lamps, three-way bulbs — are exempt from the ban and will continue to be available for purchase. Good luck!

Quote: Once again, certain specialty incandescent bulbs — appliance bulbs, rough service bulbs, marine lamps, three-way bulbs — are exempt from the ban and will continue to be available for purchase.
They cost more than the standard bulbs, but it's good to know we can still buy them and there is currently no plan for a ban.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom