Cookie Tin water heater

I used the cookie tins for two years & just switched back to heated dog dishes. They hold more water & for me, are easier to clean. They do not freeze at 30 below. When we get close to zero & above in the spring I switch to the big heated chicken waterers because babies can get into the dog dishes & drown.

Last edited:
I used the cookie tins for two years & just switched back to heated dog dishes. They hold more water & for me, are easier to clean. They do not freeze at 30 below. When we get close to zero & above in the spring I switch to the big heated chicken waterers because babies can get into the dog dishes & drown.

Do you recomend anyone in particular.

I'm going to try one for outdoor use.

The amount of heat generated from a light bulb in a heated environment is barley enough to make you not want to hold on to it for very long. If it shorted out, it would blow the circuit breaker. If there is a concern with that, plug it into a GFI socket. I have three of these running in my yards, and my only complaint is insufficient heat at temp below -30 C. I placed them in the chicken houses and keep it warmer using Chickens to keep the Temp at about -20 C

The company I work for mailed me a cookie tin for my birthday. I have Celiac's so couldn't eat the cookies but instead made an awesome water heater for my chickens. The cookie tin has my firm's logo on it which I found humorous. I shared a pic of the finished product with my boss. He thought it was great, although is not planning on adding a chicken water heater to our promotional gifts. A free gift and an old busted lamp I found in our storage room. I'm not out a penny on this project!

Recessed bowl variation: I needed an additional ice-free waterer for outside that would handle sub-zero F (< -17.78 C) temps, ice, sleet and snow. My wife donated a 9 ¼" tall cookie tin with lid. I wanted to recess the water bowl down inside of the lid for more heat exposure and a 100% secure mounting, so I cut a big hole out of it to accommodate the stainless steel bowl all the way to its top flange.

I used silicone to stick and seal the bowl's top flange to the lid, scrounged up an orphaned light fixture with a base, and a round, grounded, 18 ga. power cord with a thick rubber grommet/strain relief for the section that passes through the side of the can.

I sealed the grommet to the can with silicone and then applied two coats of liquid electrical tape to fill and coat the rolled steel edges of both the can and lid to exclude water. I also applied two coats to the bottom of the can to prevent rust. When the liquid tape set up adequately, I siliconed the light fixture to the inside bottom of the can.

I gave it all 48 hours to cure, then installed a 40-watt incandescent bulb. The following night was to be 0 F and I knew it'd be a good test for the 40-watt bulb's heat output. Morning came, temp was 0 F, and the water was perfectly liquid. The chickens went to their usual water bowl, which was frozen solid, then investigated the new heated unit. They all wandered over and drank freely. Whenever the bowl needs cleaning, the lid comes off with it. We're all pretty pleased with it.

Back
Top Bottom