Cookie Tin water heater

Pics
I got a nice de-icer recently that only keeps the water from freezing but doesn't heat it up. It's submersible, and you CAN use it in plastic buckets--I checked. It's called a bird bath deicer, but it's perfect for my plastic bucket with chicken nipples. It runs around $29. Got mine on sale from Fosters & Smith, but they're out. I see them on Amazon, though: http://www.amazon.com/Allied-BDT250-Multiple-Thermostat-250-Watt/dp/B000TZ745A. I like it; it's inexpensive, it doesn't get too hot, and there's no construction necessary except to cut a teensy notch in the top of the bucket.

What is the largest size water container suggested to put on top of these homemade cookie tin heaters? I have a 3 gallon plastic and was thinking of upgrading to a 5 gallon metal one. I'm scared both will be too heavy...????? What do you use and do you think 3 gallons will be too much on a cookie tin?

Thanks

Quote:
I don't know... I think it depends on the size cookie tin you use and the size bulb. Have you seen the heaters they sell at the feed stores? It is bigger and looks like an inverted metal feed pan or something. I would thing you could use just about anything like that to make one of these. You could use a bigger bulb then.

As long as you find a metal container strong enough to hold your big waterer, I don't know why you couldn't use something different to make your heater. Who says it has to be a cookie tin? If you have the way to drill it, you could even use a big frying pan or something, as long as you could close it up and it was flat enough with the lid on. Maybe a trip to a flea market or second hand store would yeild something big enough for what you want.

Let us know what you come up with!

I may try this, I live in MN so a little colder herer but bought the $49 metal water heater at the feed store that you can only use is with the metal waterer. It worked for one winter, no warranty of course and unable to return it. I was able to get it to work there was a loose wire but the heat mat that is glued to the metal pan let loose. I can't justify a $49 water heater that will only last one year without rewiring and then falling apart any way.

Has anyone used something similar to this in colder climates.

Quote:
I don't know... I think it depends on the size cookie tin you use and the size bulb. Have you seen the heaters they sell at the feed stores? It is bigger and looks like an inverted metal feed pan or something. I would thing you could use just about anything like that to make one of these. You could use a bigger bulb then.

As long as you find a metal container strong enough to hold your big waterer, I don't know why you couldn't use something different to make your heater. Who says it has to be a cookie tin? If you have the way to drill it, you could even use a big frying pan or something, as long as you could close it up and it was flat enough with the lid on. Maybe a trip to a flea market or second hand store would yeild something big enough for what you want.

Let us know what you come up with!

This question came up before and when it did I took two empty cookie tins I had in the house, one the size of a salad plate, the other a dinner plate and stood on them (one at a time) and both held my weight, (which I assure you is more then a 5 gal bucket of water). I only stood for a minute or so, so not sure about long term.

I couldn't sleep the other night, paranoid that the 60w bulb in my water heater could cause surrounding hay bales to combust.
ep.gif
I have it sitting on a cement block and about 8" from the closest hay.

Anyone know how hot the tin gets and if this is a real concern? I think I will replace it with a 20-25w bulb real soon so I can sleep at night.

Good grief, folks. Why not spend the $30 and get something that is safe and has a thermostat (see my post above)? I'm the world's biggest cheapskate, but even I won't risk endangering my animals or property to save $30.

Quote:
I run a 40W bulb in mine and you can lay your hand on it, even after it been on for days. It gets warm, not hot. For under $5, You can't beat this with a big stick. As far as a thermostat goes, I seen on another post that Amazon sells a plug in thermostatic switch. I had to get one of those. The cookie tin heater works great and it's cheap.
Jack

I have a question. Our waterer is kinda big-maybe 15" diameter. It's the Little Giant brand 3 gallon top-fill fount. The tins I can find are not that big. Maybe 12" at most. Is it ok to use that size?

Back
Top Bottom