Cooking frozen chicken in a crock pot

Runawaylobster

Songster
7 Years
May 2, 2012
Redland/Homestead Fl
I just got a new crock pot and i'm itiching to try it out, i'm in the process of defrosting a chicken to put in there, but i was wondering if I can just cook it frozen.

here is my thought process: if you look online you will see the USDA guidelines say NO!! no cooking of frozen chicken, but we as chicken keepers know that the chicken was not processed like a grocery store chicken (ie: poo everywhere and automated chicken machines) so i was thinkng that a home processed chicky might be a different case.. .

what do you all think???

BTW: i'm talking about the whole bird here... not just a leg or breast or something..

Last edited:
Hi - I cook a whole frozen bird in my crock pot. In fact, I like it better than a thawed chicken as it doesn't tend to get as overcooked and mushy like. The texture is much better. I put in water and salt and cook on low for about 8 hours. Not familiar with what the USDA says. Good luck!

I would Never cook a frozen bird anything in an oven, a crock pot even more so.
Order a pizza a cook that chicken for Sunday dinner.
Frozen product in a low and slow moist environment, bad move.
Think USDA warnings are nothing to worry about ??

In my travels on other cooking forums, where the posters have FAR more experience than me, years of professional cooking and cook competitions, the overall and consistent theme is Food Safety. Why rush something when you can do it Right/Safely the old way ?? Or use meat that may still be in a safe Use By Date window yet smell or feel tacky even after washing it off and letting it breathe. There are so many instances in the handling of food products from the time it is slaughtered, processed and shipped and into your market basket and then fridge where things get mishandled. It's a wonder that we don't get sick just from those things more often.

Don't aggravate those risks by rushing something.

Good luck when you do cook her off.

Last edited:
I have cooked frozen thighs and breasts in the crock pot/ dutch oven but never a whole bird. I vote for letting it thaw in the fridge for a day or two first. Good luck with whatever you choose to do, let us know how it turns out.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom