Cool facts about where you live

Chickenrandomness

12 Years
Sep 13, 2009
Stanley, North Dakota
in this thread, you can give cool facts about the town/city you live in or close to!

i Live in Stanley. The man who invented the modern diving board was born here
big_smile.png

the closest city i live to is Minot, some of you probably has heard of the terrible flooding there

I just moved to this town...I just took a hop over from the town next to it.

I now live in Seward, IL. very tiny farm town... So I googled and found this: Not exactly "cool" but kind of interesting.

Oct. 18, 1836 - Seward Township is settled.
Winter, 1842-1843 - snows 30 inches deep,
many cattle starve.

If interested in my place of birth where I just moved from:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnebago,_Illinois

and what??? there was a hotel??? wow, neat. And I wish the "creamery" was still here...that would be awesome to have around.

And the Winnebago Cemetary is where my dad is burried...he spearheaded a re-dedication to the civil war cemetary and it was a really awesome turnout...there was a podeum and speakers and people dressed in the times and people at certain gravesites to give thier history and an icecream social.

My dad dressed up in period clothes for his speech and he went to a local costume place and if anyone knows my dad...he was just a goofy character always good for a laugh....so he asks the young sales girl to help him find a mustache for him to dress up in period clothes...so she takes him over to the section and my dad picks up a black mustache and holds it up and asks her if that one matched his hair? She then picked up the grey mustache and handed it to him. tee hee hee....he definately was not dark haired much by then...the grey was definatley set in. But he did it on purpose to pull that girls leg. He was such a kidder.

Half Way, Mo

pop 176

We are half way between Bolivar and Buffalo Missouri.

There are many natural springs around here and back in the day when people where traveling from bolivar to buffalo or vice versa they would stop in Half Way to water their horses.
smile.png

Also my family has been in this area since 1860
smile.png

It is suppossed to be 2 words, but for some reason the government has made it 1 word. Can make things very confusing.

he he he.... "half way" That's neat.

oh and I like Mark Twain...that's neat too.

Montgomery, Texas:

is one of the oldest cities in Texas and many consider it to be the birthplace of the Texas flag.

Were I live PPG was invented Pittsburgh Plate Glass. But it got closed down now there is a big empty building sitting there.... Most of us want to turn it into a mall. But they say it will bring "trouble" to our city. Like there isnt enough. There were some other things but to many to list. LOL

Back
Top Bottom