Cooler temperatures

pen

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
I live south of St. Louis and this will be my first fall and winter with chickens. At what temperature should I start closing the windows on the coop? When do I need to add heat? How much daylight should I provide so they will continue to lay eggs/ Thanks, Pen

pen,

1. You could start adding some early morning light now. On a timer. This would add plenty of light to keep egg laying going through winter. You might want to have it snap off at 5 pm so you don't catch them unaware.
2. Chickens need time to adjust to cold, but adjust they do. They'll do better in cold than in severe heat. Much better. No added heat is necessary whatsoever, IF you have hardy breeds. Dry at all times. Good wide roosting bars and they'll be just fine.
3. You could begin to shut a window or all the windows if you have good ventilation out the roof or at the roof line. Noxious gasses must still escape as must the humidity. You cannot seal them up tight or the humidity will be brutal, the gasses toxic and the risk of frostbite in really cold weather too high. Frostbite is primarily caused by the humidity "frosting" or condensing, not merely the cold temps by themselves.

Back
Top Bottom