Are these temperatures viable?

Altairsky

Chirping
Mar 25, 2024
Italy
This is a continuation of my old thread about fixing an old incubator.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/help-fixing-an-old-incubator.1616174/#post-27640089
Sadly all the eggs died (last chick died during lockdown).
Now that the incubator is empty I could add a computer fan. I actually had to put it at 6 volts to get a decent air circulation though the temperatures are still different from area to area but I think they might be viable. Do you think I can try again or should I put the fan somewhere else? Any suggestion? Below I added a couple of pictures to show the previous and the current temperatures, and the fan placement. Any advice would be much appreciated! I really don't want to kill more chicks!

Attachments

• ccc.jpg
    ccc.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 0.jpg
    0.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 10
Wow, fantastic diagrams and testing! Thanks for explaining the problem so well.
How many eggs do you want to put in there? The temperature distribution will most likely change somewhat after you put eggs in, given how small the incubator is. I like to put in infertile or fake eggs and then re-evaluate temperature after ~12 hours. I’d avoid the corners where the temperature seems uneven, and instead set just a few eggs at a time. Overall, I would say your temperature now is safe to incubate within as long as your thermometers have been calibrated. Nice job.

Hi! Thank you for the answer! I'm planning to only hatch 12 eggs at a time which is half the capacity of this incubator. I should be able to only use the space within the more stable area and move the egg turning grid within the stable area.
The analog thermometer is calibrated, the digital ones are coherent to the analog thermometer and with an error of +- 0.1°C
I'll let you know how it goes on my next incubation!

Back
Top Bottom