Cooler weather...does it slow egg production?

Gindee77

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
QCA, Illinois
I have various breeds and wonder if this cooler weather we're experiencing is causing them to slow down on their laying. I was getting 10-11 eggs from my girls (11 of them) and suddenly we're lucky to get 6-8 eggs a day. They have lights on a timer in the coop, so the lesser daylight shouldn't be effecting them. I purposely got breeds that can stand the cold...BO's, EE's, Golden Comets, Black S-L's.

I can barely keep up with demand on these wonderful eggs my girls are producing. But if the weather has a bearing on it all, then my buyers are just going to have to understand!

Between the cooler weather and molting, my girl's production has dropped way off. Our customer's know it might be a week or two before they get their orders. We usually stop selling altogether for a couple months in the winter (keep these eggs for just family).

Not sure if colder weather by itself will cause it (since that always seems to bring on molting). The lack of daylight sure will. Maybe someone else will have an opinion.

Gindee, mine aren't slowing down yet and we've had some cooler weather. In fact, I had another girl start laying today. Poor thing, I swear she was in that nest box a full hour and had the most confused look on her face.

My hens have all stopped completely. I mean nuthin is coming out of my chicken house except poop. And feathers. And some crowing and bawking. It's as if they all ganged up & decided to go on strike.

I have four that are (hopefully) about to begin laying. We'll see.

I don't have an answer for you, but I sure feel your pain. I have 11 hens/pullets all together and I had to buy a dozen eggs this week.

Mine have slowed as well, with the recent cold spell. I still get about 75% production most days, and 100% on others. It may be a period of adjustment they have to go through?

One or two of my hens, are laying eggs much smaller than usual the last week or so. I have no idea why that would occur. Any guess's?

One of my neighbors swears that giving her hens a mixture of laying pellets, and oatmeal, mixed up with warm water, every morning keeps her egg production at full tilt, all winter.

I might have to try that!

Last edited:
My chickens slow down during the winter also. Usually after their winter molt, they will not lay again for 3-4 months. There are times when I get an occasional egg. My EE is just finishing up her molt, so I am curious to see when she starts laying again. Last year she did not lay again until Feb I think it was. I thought she was done for good, she is 6 years old.

I wonder if its because they are using the energy to stay warm instead of make eggs, or if it because they do not want to hatch eggs in the middle of winter. Even if they never go broody, its just built in them when to lay or not to lay?
Just thinking and wondering.

Thanks for all your replies. I have noticed on days that are a bit warmer we seem to get more eggs...it was up to 80 degrees yesterday and today we have more eggs and they are bigger. I've noticed that on cooler days the eggs are smaller too. Not sure why or if it's just coincidence, but I do know my hens are so spoiled and they seem to go on strike if things aren't exactly like they want them!!
lau.gif
Just my luck too...I have people begging for our eggs and I have a bunch of diva hens!!

Back
Top Bottom