COOLEST Turkey Experience!!

ChicknThief

Songster
12 Years
Jan 12, 2008
Nor Cal
My family and I were out on a walk today, and on our way back to the house, I saw something moving in the grass alongside the road. I leaned in for a better look, and saw two of what I thought looked like some kind of chick. I scanned the ground around them and saw about five more just like them laying in different spot. My first thought was that they were abandoned chicken chicks that some fool decided they didn't want, but as I kept leaning in, there was a sudden flurry of movement to my right! A turkey hen exploded out of the brush about two feet from where I was standing, flew onto the road in front of us, and proceeded to drag her wing and warble at us, to make it seem like she was injured. It was the coolest thing ever. Some of the poults were still damp, so they had to be only just an hour or two old. They were SOOO cute!
love.gif

Anyone else have an experience like that?

I have seen turkey poults too. We were walking in the woods and they were all huddled in the grass. Sweetest things I ever saw. We didn't see the hen until we started down the trail more. Seeing things like this in nature is so much cooler than when it is in your yard.

What a terrific experience!
smile.png

Not exactly, but we have a lot turkeys here, and once they have their little ones, we get to watch them grow up.

There can be 30 or so poults, with a parent for about every 7 of them. The little ones stay in small triangle formations.

Sometimes I'll look out the window, and a mom and babies will be walking through the yard.

Last year we were seeing something move near a log, and it turned out to be some youngsters having quite the time looking at us from underneath it.
smile.png

You're right, the quail do it here, too. We have mostly California quail, though.

And winter wrens. We had one who would fly to an object right in front of you, so that she could put on her show and lead you away. Not that it's easy to find a winter wren's nest, but she was taking no chances.
smile.png

I think my best turkey experinence happened in Ft Knox/KY. It showed how smart turkeys really are.
As soon as hunting season started a group of turkeys would migrate from the area where they usually lived to near the the golf course where hunting wasnt allowed. Sometimes they would even go onto the golfcourse. It was espec funny to see the hunters drive by a group of 30 huge birds on the way to the hunting grounds.

I have a good story to add.....my husband works for the railroad, and unfortunately they are unable to stop the train in time to not endanger the wildlife. They actually hit a turkey and saw a bunch of little ones scatter. They did stop the train and walked back to the scene. My husband was able to save only one of the chicks and brought it home for some TLC. My kids named the chick Amtrak - how funny
lau.gif
. Anyhow, we were novices and unfortunately the chick passed away....we didn't tell the kids. We told them that there was a wild turkey family across the road (which there actually is) and we sent the baby to live with them. My son was so afraid that it would be hunted when it was older, so we told him that Daddy painted it's tail feathers hunter orange so no one would shoot it. They still look for Amtrak out in the fields near our house and say they have spotted him.

Last edited:
OMGosh masschix how sad! I am sorry about the little poult.
sad.png
But how cute of your kids!
love.gif

Rte. 66: Was the mourning dove wild, or caged? My grandmother used to have mourning doves, and we couldn't make them set the eggs they had layed for anything!

I was out walking my dogs yesterday and we happened upon a pheasant and her chicks. I keep my dogs leashed (cause I can't always trust them), they safely disappeared back into the brush.

Back
Top Bottom