cooling off your chickens

Pics
I might be considered certifiable but I brought mine in tonight. It’s so hot outside and it’s 1am- still showing 85 (in MI) so you know it’s hotter in the little hen house. Granted I only have three (a BO and 2 Australorp) but when I peeked in at them and they’re open mouth breathing, I figured it’s time to bring ‘em in! I just hope my husband doesn’t wake early and try to take a shower tomorrow morning- he’ll be in for a surprise as they’re in our walk in shower... ;) lol!
I'm in MI too. I've been keeping them in the backyard during the day because there's more shade. Their run isn't quite finished. Their coop still gets too hot. I need roof vents. I've been freezing gallon jugs of water and putting the whole frozen jug in the 5 gallon bucket to keep the water cool. And I have 3 laege dog bowls full of water in the yard. When I can catch them I dip them in our pool. My light brahma seems to be doing worse with the heat than my barred rocks.

I'm in MI too. I've been keeping them in the backyard during the day because there's more shade. Their run isn't quite finished. Their coop still gets too hot. I need roof vents. I've been freezing gallon jugs of water and putting the whole frozen jug in the 5 gallon bucket to keep the water cool. And I have 3 laege dog bowls full of water in the yard. When I can catch them I dip them in our pool. My light brahma seems to be doing worse with the heat than my barred rocks.
Mine are fine with 85. I wonder if it's more of what they get used to. I'm sure it's not normally that hot there. I have lots of windows towards the top of my coop. They are fine at night. It's just the afternoons for me.

Mine are fine with 85. I wonder if it's more of what they get used to. I'm sure it's not normally that hot there. I have lots of windows towards the top of my coop. They are fine at night. It's just the afternoons for me.
My coop faces the east. It doesn't get much shade until about 4pm right now. I let them out every morning so at that point is when I give them fresh water in the coop so they can go back in there if they want.

My coop faces the east. It doesn't get much shade until about 4pm right now. I let them out every morning so at that point is when I give them fresh water in the coop so they can go back in there if they want.
Mine is facing west, the front door, has a screen door, and seems to cool it well. But all I get is a little morning shade then nothing until nighttime. In the morning, I put them in their tractor, and try to keep them cool until about 4, when I start getting a small strip if shade, then I move there tractor there, until it's time for bed.

Thank you! I have done all of this. It's only the one chick, and they don't seem to know what to do with anything. They won't wade, they won't eat their treats. I had to chase her around with the garden house every hour yesterday, now they are all scared of me. :(
How old are the chicks? If they're big enough, I put out aluminium roaster pans from the $ store, put a decent sized rock in the middle and fill them w/cold water. They both drink from them and wade through them

I also put frozen water bottles in their waterers. Mine free-range, so there are about 1/2 dozen near their favourite hangouts. They also love watermelon, actually any type of melon

How old are the chicks? If they're big enough, I put out aluminium roaster pans from the $ store, put a decent sized rock in the middle and fill them w/cold water. They both drink from them and wade through them

I also put frozen water bottles in their waterers. Mine free-range, so there are about 1/2 dozen near their favourite hangouts. They also love watermelon, actually any type of melon
I do. I have a big cake pan that I never use, I use this for them to wade, but they don't. I have a little waterer, and I put an old empty vitamin bottle with frozen water in it. They are varying ages, all still babies. 6 weeks, 3 weeks, and 2 weeks. She did much better today, not sure she's just getting used to the heat or if she's drinking the watermelon water and I just haven't caught her yet.

I Never wet the chickens. Chickens use the air and wind to cool off. If they are wet they will not be able to cool down. Provide an area wheee they can dust bath they use the sand to cool off. Get a box fan and place in the coop. I have been able to bring down my coop temperature by 10 degrees with the box fan. Feed cold watermelon and cucumbers. Place ice cubes in there water and couple times a day. I live in Florida and have two black Americanas and they are doing well with this system.

Check out this video of how to make a fan with ice chest kind of like an ac system with a box fan.
[/https://youtu.be/NiPLJEFRBnM

Skip the corn. Corn when metabolized creates heat in their bodies. Good only for wonder months. Cold watermelon and cucumbers in ice water. And the sprinklers and puddles. 💯
I got my fan early, thank you god, and they love it and are doing so much better. they still do not like corn, so no worries there. But are slurping up the watermelon like nobodies business!

Back
Top Bottom