1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

coon attack

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by seedcorn, Sep 30, 2011.

1. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    woke up to chickens going crazy. Went outside, some outside of house/coop, some inside. Look inside, a coon. Went to get gun, no shells, wife moved them and didn't remember where she put them. Now I'm ready to kill 2--not really. Go back, no coon. Later hear dog barking, he has him backed into corner, but smart enough not to tackle this coon. Called neighbor, he brought his gun, coon gone???? Where did he go??? About 10 minutes later, there he is. Am I going crazy???? Called neighbor again, kept my eyes on him. Turned out he crawled up fence to top of house (9' tall). Neighbor showed up, we devised plan as chicken house is 2' from shed. Coon jumped onto chicken house, jumped for freedom except for once I hit what I was shooting at.

Tonite chickens had to be forced to go in. Reinforced back of house, replaced summer screen with winter plexiglass, turned radio on, and left some human remains outside of door. See if they come back tonite as I'm convinced it was a family that attacked and not just a coon.

Damages? Lost 1 rooster and 1 hen, could have been much worse.

2. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Those darn coons! I would still have him shot dead or let the dog go after that coon

3. Crippledturkey

Crippledturkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Poplar Bluff, Mo
    That sucks man we lost a hen to one lastnight who got into the coop. Reinforced the whole coop today and have a 22 by the door waiting for him to show back up.

4. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    So did you get him or not?

5. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    That is why I carry a .380 loaded on my person, and every gun in the house is loaded. A gun unloaded is useless, as you found out. Between the dog and me we've gotten 6 possum in the last 3 weeks. No coon yet.

6. seedcorn

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    Quote:All I will say is he won't bother any other chickens [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  7. ragnar1107

ragnar1107 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2011
    Elkhorn Wisconsin
    I hope you got him because that upfront out in the open behavior is a little weird. I hope it's not rabies. And we keep a loaded .22 by the back door( no kids, no worries) just in case I hear the guineas going off I don't want to be searching for bullets.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011
  8. seedcorn

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    2 nights in row, I've had to chase them into house. They haven't forgotten yet.........for being a dumb chicken, they do remember.

9. WillieBoy

WillieBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Sorry to say, using window screen to keep a predator out of your chicken coop , like a coon is a joke...just sayin....

10. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    ny son killed 4 coons the other night. I want happy with im for killing the momma and her soon to be on their own babies almost as big as her.. but he said Mom I was saving the chickens cause when they found them they would kill and keep coming back..

ahhhh [​IMG] I hate it when the kid is right.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by