COON SKIN HAT is mine tonight!!!!

Quote:
wee.gif
I've had my trap set for 2 nights and the coon keeps getting the bait by sticking his fingers in. Not even moving the trap.

What'd you catch it with?

build a small hardware cloth bait box and wire it to the trigger

Quote:
wee.gif
I've had my trap set for 2 nights and the coon keeps getting the bait by sticking his fingers in. Not even moving the trap.

I took a big feather and dipped in marshmallow fluff...placed that right outside the trap door..took a tunacan and put more marshmallow fluff in in back of trap..works everytime...trap will be rest tonight too yahhhhh

Quote:
wee.gif

If you want to permanently get rid of racoons or possums use a 220 conibear trap! I know this is extreem but when I had to keep replanting tomato plants this year from a racoon which I caught on a game camera That ended that! Had my son who trapped varmints in the past set 2 traps one evening and the next morning success! One big racoon. These tpaps are fatal and no suffering occurs,very fast in dispatching the predator. So this morning I get ready to go to work and I noticed the top of my brooder box which is is right by my front door on the porch completely off. I quickly looked inside and took a head count to find one of my 4 week old NH chicks gone. Nothing else was disturbed,so I figured mr. racoon just reached in and grabbed the first one he could get. I saw a few feathers and a little blood a few feet away and knew what was in store for his next trip this evening. The thing that gripes me is that they were being put in a larger more secure run today!

Quote:
wee.gif

If you want to permanently get rid of racoons or possums use a 220 conibear trap! I know this is extreem but when I had to keep replanting tomato plants this year from a racoon which I caught on a game camera That ended that! Had my son who trapped varmints in the past set 2 traps one evening and the next morning success! One big racoon. These tpaps are fatal and no suffering occurs,very fast in dispatching the predator. So this morning I get ready to go to work and I noticed the top of my brooder box which is is right by my front door on the porch completely off. I quickly looked inside and took a head count to find one of my 4 week old NH chicks gone. Nothing else was disturbed,so I figured mr. racoon just reached in and grabbed the first one he could get. I saw a few feathers and a little blood a few feet away and knew what was in store for his next trip this evening. The thing that gripes me is that they were being put in a larger more secure run today!

I would BUT my chihuahua and cocker would get killed:( We strictly use live traps to avoid killing any animals that we want to keep:) But thank you and good luck to you too sorry about your baby:(

DH drove said coon 10 miles in woods and dropped it off-he said he looked like an old guy:( So he let him go..But trap is set again!

kinda late to post now considering this was back in summer but Ihave no mercy on an ol coon... the only good ones a dead one.. they will travel miles in a night just to get a good meal.. over the years I have lost too many dear chickens to these nasty critters so.. I got steel traps and a 22 with a full box of shells all the time. disposed of a few since the summer but I know theres more... My loving DH has the girls coop locked up tighter than Fort Knox now, but they are cunning little you know whats and can get in almost anywhere.. I hope they do not come back to your chicks castle. I think the one that was lucky enough to get away here ran & told all of its family to STAY away from that CRAZY womans house!!lol at least for now..

Quote:
Good hubbie mine is the same way now too..he bought me Alot of new electrical fencing for Xmas for all my babies..so they can free range again in Spring...it works out perfectly as we are putting in huge new gardens this year...also it's movable fencing so we can move it whenever we want to adjust...

We live out in the country in a woods.

My wife is anti gun.

My wife feeds all the stray cats within a thousand miles (well it seems like it).

One evening she looks out the back window and yells, "There's a raccoon eating the cat food!"

"So?", I said.
roll.png

"GET A GUN AND KILL IT !", she yells.

"Oh. Now guns are ok?, I ask.

12 gauge shotgun caught the coon as it ran towards the drainage ditch.
smile.png

To date there is 5 less of those cat food thieves roaming this earth.

Come to think about I must have thinned them out a bit because "we" haven't had any more cat food problems (other then the cats themselves) since summer. You think the coons haven't gotten the word out to stay away from the Lazy L?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom