Coop Advice 1/4 or 1/2 and buying

ThereIsNoTry

In the Brooder
Oct 4, 2018
We are moving into our new house in the next month. We have 4 chickens that are currently in a coop we made. However, it is a part of the current house and removing it would not be worth it.

We are looking at a new coop for the new house. This house does have coyotes that will roam likely close to where the coop will go. There are motion lights in that area. There is also, oddly a peacock or two that roam in that area. Of course normal critters like snakes, racoons and gophers.

We are looking at this https://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/grd/d/custom-walk-in-redwood-chicken-coop/6969090817.html
Is the 1/2 cloth enough?

We are going to be a bit strapped on cash with the new house and of course time.

If that is good enough, what else should I do to secure the area? I figure I would bury a little 1/4 cloth that we have around the edges and place rocks all around. Not sure how deep I will be able to get it. It may be horizontal a couple inches

If it is not good enough, suggestions? San Diego area.

thank you!

Depends on your predator. 1/4 is to keep out those that can squeeze into small spaces: weasels, mink, martens, snakes, rats, mice. It's also to keep raccoons and skunks from reaching in. 1/2 is fine if you only have larger predators, from what I've read and experienced.

You could put 1/4" around the bottom 3' or 4', or just over your chickens' height. That would keep a raccoon from reaching in and popping off a head. This is also what could be buried around the edge, so it's one trip around the run. It's a nice looking coop and run for the money. Not sure I understood the dimensions correctly, so rule of thumb is 4 sf/chicken in coop and 10 sf/chicken in the run. I think he is saying the run is 9x4.5, so that is good for 4 chickens. I can't tell the size of the coop, but it really should be at least 4x4.

Congrats on the new house!

You could put 1/4" around the bottom 3' or 4', or just over your chickens' height. That would keep a raccoon from reaching in and popping off a head. This is also what could be buried around the edge, so it's one trip around the run. It's a nice looking coop and run for the money. Not sure I understood the dimensions correctly, so rule of thumb is 4 sf/chicken in coop and 10 sf/chicken in the run. I think he is saying the run is 9x4.5, so that is good for 4 chickens. I can't tell the size of the coop, but it really should be at least 4x4.

Congrats on the new house!
That's a good compromise and would cut down on costs.

Good luck on your move! I haven't moved in over 20 years, but it's getting to be time to do it again. I haven't moved with chickens yet. Let us know how it goes!

I suppose the size of the coop isn't as critical in San Diego. Your weather is mild enough that they don't end up in the coop as much as ours in rainy, snowy winter climates. Your current run, 6x6 is approx same overall size as the new 9x4.5. I was just concerned about the coop itself.

our ladies currently have a 6x6 pen with a large attached run that can be closed off in the evening. The coop where they lay is quite small and sits inside the enclosure. They roost on the edge of the coop and on a rope bridge we have attached up high.

This one looks to be 9' long, 4.5ft wide and 6'high.
I have 5 girls in my large coop. My coop is 4x8, and it really doesn't need to be that big, tbh. California weather is good enough that they never spend much time in it except to roost and lay. I think the 4sq ft rule is more for chickens that have to stay inside the coop in inclement weather.

That coop looks like a good one for the price. It will save you the worry of coming up with housing for your chickens right after an exhausting move. Good job planning ahead!

is 1/2 good enough? I generally hear needs to be or should be 1/4.
IMO, yes, it's more than adequate.
We're talking about a predator apron; an anti-dig apron. I also use it to secure my run. No way is a weasel getting in. That is the only predator that is going to do any damage. Mice won't get in either.
A baby garter snake will get in. But the poor thing is going to end up dead. I've rescued 2 baby garter snakes from my flock.

Back
Top Bottom