Coop Advice Wanted

Yes, 18 inches is a good height for nesting boxes. The roosts should be higher than that. Looking at your last picture, you could add ventilation between the studs on the side wall.

Yes, 18 inches is a good height for nesting boxes. The roosts should be higher than that. Looking at your last picture, you could add ventilation between the studs on the side wall.
I can make it so that they only have to jump 18in at a time.
How do you think I should vent?
2118023_orig_kindlephoto-20750132.jpg
700.jpg

The whole nesting box should only be 18 inches off the ground and your roost bars should be higher than that, but it's to late for that. The top picture would be good. put those between your studs on the side walls, vertically.

The whole nesting box should only be 18 inches off the ground and your roost bars should be higher than that, but it's to late for that. The top picture would be good. put those between your studs on the side walls, vertically.
Great. I read an article on ventilation. If I put 1sq foot per chicken like they want me to, I'm not even going to have a house. More like a cage. The window is 12 x 24, does it count?
I will try to put that vent in, though.

Last edited:
Erm... I know this isn't always a good idea, but what if I don't put in a pop-hole? That way the big door is being used, at least during the day....

Also, my brother said that poking 2" holes is a bad idea, too. Not because chickens, but because that side doesn't have overhang. It would rot in two or three years.

Erm... I know this isn't always a good idea, but what if I don't put in a pop-hole? That way the big door is being used, at least during the day....

Also, my brother said that poking 2" holes is a bad idea, too. Not because chickens, but because that side doesn't have overhang. It would rot in two or three years.
No pop door could be ok...would depend on what your customers want...maybe the free range, maybe the coop is in an electronetted pasture or they will just have to walk into the run to open the door. Pop door is least of worries here.

Your brother has a good point.

The problem with the window as a vent is that in winter you may need to close it while they're roosting to keep cold drafts off of them, hence the suggestion for plexiglass so you can at least let light in. Being that it is moveable, the future owner might be able to turn it away from the wind, so hopefully it won't be too much of an issue.

I think I found something. What about two of these? I think there is 16 inches of actual open space on this. So that adds 2 more square feet of vent. Easy as pie to put in.

Where else could I put vent? Floor? Window? Ever heard of putting one in a nest box?

Attachments

• 849014013992.jpg
    849014013992.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom