coop advise

Terri12868

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 26, 2014
I have a 4x4 coop with enclosed 8 x4 run. I have 3 Wyandottes and not sure of one pictured. I cut out a window today and the circular thing next to it is a solar light that is not needed. I want to put a small round vent there instead of the solar light. The window is pexiglass so it does not open. I should have made it so it could be opened. My chicken roosted outsde all summer because it was too hot in the coop I am sure. Rather than tearing off plexi glass. Could the chickens roost outside in summer and in for the winter. I plan on closing wood door to keep inside coop cooler in summer. I want to have 8 chickens by winter 4 on each roost but in summer I think they would want to rooast outside. This is the South side of coop. They seemed to do well with our cld MI winter. I had a heater. I am concerned about venting especially if I put 8 in the winter. I will need advise on venting properly. I wrapped coop in tarp and pop door was open all winter. Next winter I want to put clear plastic strips (pet door) on.

its hard to fix an issue like yours without tearing holes into your building....and essentially starting over....I am building a coop in which I made two plexiglass windows, dado'ed out frames in middle, caulked seam, placed plexiglass in frame, glued and stapled it together, placed window in frame structure, attached hinges, inside coop placed hardware cloth, that way light gets in, can open the window for venting too... coops must be vented in a way you can close em up for winter too., vent space where rafters meet header is enough in winter, you can install some vents in peaks too...no drafts.. just ventilation....

I have a 4x4 coop with enclosed 8 x4 run. I have 3 Wyandottes and not sure of one pictured. I cut out a window today and the circular thing next to it is a solar light that is not needed. I want to put a small round vent there instead of the solar light. The window is pexiglass so it does not open. I should have made it so it could be opened. My chicken roosted outsde all summer because it was too hot in the coop I am sure. Rather than tearing off plexi glass. Could the chickens roost outside in summer and in for the winter. I plan on closing wood door to keep inside coop cooler in summer. I want to have 8 chickens by winter 4 on each roost but in summer I think they would want to rooast outside. This is the South side of coop. They seemed to do well with our cld MI winter. I had a heater. I am concerned about venting especially if I put 8 in the winter. I will need advise on venting properly. I wrapped coop in tarp and pop door was open all winter. Next winter I want to put clear plastic strips (pet door) on.
I see a couple of red flags here...the caulk gun was the first, you probably need more ventilation.
A heater in a coop.....can be very dangerous and really not necessary.

4x4 is not big enough for 8 birds in Michigan......IMO.
They could spend days at a time locked up in coop due to cold and snow.

2 great articles linked in my signature on Space and Ventilation, I suggest you read them both.

Back
Top Bottom