Coop almost done (pic added)

Gotta love furniture dollies
woot.gif

Nice coop you have there! Add more vents and then show us all those happy chickens
jumpy.gif
D.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Not really, it needs to be at the top to provide cross ventilation. The smell will be unbearable and very unhealthy for the chickens without adequate ventilation. I believe the general MINIMUM rule is one sq ft of ventilation per 10 sq ft of floor space. Someone else can verify the numbers but I'm fairly sure that's correct. You want the vents ABOVE the roost to avoid any drafts directly blowing ON the birds. You should probably caulk the edges of the coop to avoid the drafts. Just make sure the caulk is not accessible to them, they WILL peck at it and eat it. Good luck.

Windows?

When I built mine I put the roosts level with flip open 10"H x 5'L windows (when flipped open it is 20"H X 6' H.Wire covered) ....so they can see out when on roost.

They love the windows. Esp for the long winters we have.

600 Ft electronet pen for the other three seasons. (just got it...love it!!!)

Last edited:
Looks great, but I agree with the ventilation comments. Also, is it going to be lighted inside? Your layers are going to need 15+ hours of light in order to induce egg production. Without windows, that's not going to happen. You will also have to supplement during the shorter winter days, unless you are going to let them go off laying for the winter.

Nice work.

UGCM

There is a 15"X17" sealed window on the other side, it's directly across from the roost.
I'll be making more ventilation before it's painted.

Besides the 4-2 1/2" holes in the soffit, I now have 4-3" holes, 2 on each end. I think it will provide better air flow than vents in the Cupola. It would've been much more difficult to vent the Cupola also. I'm all about easy.

znjxp1.jpg

I would think that you need a good bit more ventilation than what you have...something like a square foot per chicken. The entire gables would be nice to have vented and add screened windows in two more sides like the 15"x17" one. Not much moisture/humidity is going to be escaping through those round vents and I'm afraid it will be very hot in there. Square, rectangular, or even triangular vents have more square inches of vent area than round circular vents of the roughly same size do.

The birds will appreciate as much ventilation as you can give them (especially in the summer). You can always build covers to cover the vent/windows when cold weather comes...actually could incorporate small vents in the covers.

But, these are just my thoughts....?

Best wishes,
Ed

Thanks for all the input. I may put a removable screen inside the left barn door for summer and just leave that door open during the day.
The coop will be shaded by a lot of big trees and in direct sunlight for only a few hours per day.
We painted it yesterday and today.

2iggh1t.jpg

Back
Top Bottom