Coop almost done (pic added)

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

Definitely ventilate the cupola. You do not have enough ventilation as built in my opinion. I have a turbine vent that stays operable all year in Tennessee. It works in tandem with both gable vents and continuous soffit vents as well. I did around 1 sp ft permanent non-closeable ventilation for each 4 chickens. Cold is not even nearly as important as dry and well ventilated. As long as no open windows at roost height to make for drafts, chooks will weather any cold just fine with all vents open and working.

Howdy gsim! So you're saying that you have roughly 36 square inches of permanent ventilation per bird? Interesting. I think Pat's page recommends 1 square foot per bird. It would be interesting to find the ranges of vent area that folks use *successfully*, but I guess that would depend on several other coop/chicken factors. I saw that you have 7 hens, but I didn't catch the size of your coop....size?

Best wishes,
Ed

Quote:
Speaking of things that will hurt them, we grow Castor Bean plants every year. They're beautiful tropical looking plants, but their seeds are highly toxic so we are going to have to stop growing them altogether.
I think a screen in the door will provide plenty of ventilation. The exit entry door is 16"X17" and it will be open during daylight hours winter and summer.

I LOVE
love.gif
the finishing touches!! Great color and Foghorn up there is awesome!! Looks like we need a "decorate your coop" contest
wink.png

yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif