Coop almost done (pic added)

bsruther

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 29, 2009
Northern Kentucky
Our coop is almost done so I figured I'd post a pic.
We'll probably paint it this weekend and then I'll start on the coop platform and run.

6ef0qg.jpg

2iggh1t.jpg

Last edited:
thumbsup.gif
That looks great! It's very cute too...I like the cupola.
jumpy.gif

I don't see any vents...are they under the roof line? What color are you going to
paint it? I've seen some very colorful coops here. Look forward to seeing it all finished!

There are 4-2 1/2 inch round holes in the soffit, with hardware cloth covering them to keep out varmits. Will that be enough? I was thinking about venting through the Cupola too, but I was afraid that it would make the coop colder in winter.

Very cute coop but DEFINITELY not enough vents. Chickens can handle cold much better (down to 0 degrees without extra heat or insulation from what I gather) than they can heat. You need a nice steady cross breeze at the top of the coop above the roosts. They put out A LOT of water through their breathing and their poop--you need A LOT of ventilation to counteract this. Avoid drafts.

Read this page:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=1642-VENTILATION

Nice looking coop but too closed up. It definately needs more ventilation to handle the ammonia gases and humidity buildup. Chickens can handle cold better than heat! Protecting them from cold drafts is important. I would add some ventilation through the cupola also.
thumbsup.gif

You have a great place to add vents in the cupola, and it would even look pleasing to the eye as well as being functional. We have a roof ridge vent, but would like to add a functional cupola too. I believe that the original function of the cupola was for venting:)

Back
Top Bottom