Coop and Garden Pictures

tomcatbubba

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 16, 2010
Hi all - here is my 10'x20' coop with run and garden. I move the chickens in to the main garden area when things aren't growing and let their run behind the coop rest. I also have some asparagus (about 500 crowns) behind the coop and let them in occasionally to keep the weeds down. This system seems to work OK as the chicken bedding makes great amendment for the garden soil and the asparagus bed. So far this year the garden has about 60 tomato plants, 50 squash and zucchini, 200 dragon tongue bean plants, walking onions, strawberries, raspberries, kiwi, figs, grapes, hops, 100 eggplants and peppers, 500 asparagus crowns, and 40 thai basil plants, 50 pole bean plants, 15 cucumber plants. Its WAY too much for our family of 6, so we give a lot of it away.

You do realize we want to see more detailed pictures of your coop, right?!! The area looks lovely, and if I lived near you, I would love to take some of your excess fresh produce off your hands ;)

Nice rustic coop and a good deal for only $800 in materials. Just curious as to how cold your winters are? I see not battin' on those boards. It might get a bit drafty on a cold winter's day.

We are about 2 miles from the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland. Winters are very mild and it hasn't seemed to bother the hens. I've always heard ventilation is a good thing which is why I decided not to put batten strips on.

Back
Top Bottom