Coop and run are almost finished

Thank you, I am a bit north of Los Angeles. I have the option of installing a second interior door of hardware screen so that I can leave the top of the dutch door open for more ventilation.

The Dutch door is a great supplement, but your primary venting should be over the birds's heads when they're sitting on the roost.

This illustration is from an article on cattle barns, but the airflow principle is the same for any livestock:

natural-ventilation.png

Dobie's suggestion for soffit and gable vents is a very good way to achieve the desired air circulation.

The Dutch door is a great supplement, but your primary venting should be over the birds's heads when they're sitting on the roost.

This illustration is from an article on cattle barns, but the airflow principle is the same for any livestock:

View attachment 2982656

Dobie's suggestion for soffit and gable vents is a very good way to achieve the desired air circulation.
Thank you for the clarification. We will get this remedied before bringing pullets home.

x2 on opening up more ventilation up in the soffits and checking roost placement vs walls and from roost to roost. For standard birds you want at least 12" from wall to roost, and at least 14-16" horizontally from roost to roost (to prevent birds from pooping on each other or worse, pecking at each other).

I would also ditch the ramp entirely, to save floor space and allow you to rearrange roosts if needed to meet above measurements, unless you have breeds that cannot fly/jump well, as the bar in front of the nests will provide nest access, and the chickens should be able to jump up to the roosts from the floor.

x2 on opening up more ventilation up in the soffits and checking roost placement vs walls and from roost to roost. For standard birds you want at least 12" from wall to roost, and at least 14-16" horizontally from roost to roost (to prevent birds from pooping on each other or worse, pecking at each other).

I would also ditch the ramp entirely, to save floor space and allow you to rearrange roosts if needed to meet above measurements, unless you have breeds that cannot fly/jump well, as the bar in front of the nests will provide nest access, and the chickens should be able to jump up to the roosts from the floor.
Thank you, we always had open air coops when I was young so this is my first enclosed coop. I appreciate the feedback.

I would remove the blocking/siding from between all the rafters and secure it with 1/2" hardware cloth then cut out as much of the top triangular section of the gable peaks and secure that area with 1/2" HC.
Ditto Dat!

Santa Clarita, CA
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1643991229262.png

Back
Top Bottom