Coop and run capable of leaving for a 7day vacation?13 chickens

If I had no other choice, my setup could probably go a week without monitoring. I have automatic water system and automatic door. Full feeder lasts close to a week on average for my 13 chickens. I would definitely need a roll away egg collection system though, they'd pile up and likely get some breakages and eating.
x2, if I added an extra waterer and feeder as back up I could probably be gone for close to a week without issue. The main drawback is eggs still need to be picked up (though I suppose if I traveled in late fall through early spring, eggs wouldn't be much of an issue.)

When y’all do go on vacation or a long weekend trip what do y’all do about the coop door
Scroll to bottom of this page. Click on automatic coop door.
This is just one of many companies that make these.
I don't have an automatic door on my two coops and so I can't recommend this one or any brand.
They open and close with a light sensor or a set time.
Some are electric, some battery or solar power.
Of course you need to have a big enough coop to install. Most prefab coops may not be. GC

Last edited:
Yes this is possible to create a set up where you can leave them for a week.
My coop is big and pred proof.
I have 15 chickens. My feeders hold 60 pounds of food and there is 25 gallons of water available. I could leave for two weeks if I had to. I have evscuated for a fire for 9 days before.
I would not hesitate for a minute to leave for a week.
Something could go wrong, but it has not.

Back
Top Bottom