coop and run near evergreens?

Kassafrass

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 14, 2014
Hi, we are complete newbies and have had a coop, run, and hens given to us unexpectedly by a friend (we arent complaining, though :). Can we put the coop and run near some evergreens? That would mean they would have little pine needles in the run.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I've have had a number of coops and runs underneath pine trees over the years and the pine needles will not cause any problems for your chickens. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of hens did you get?

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I agree with Michael. I think your run would end up being sappy, pokey and just uncomfortable. Plus it might encourage wild birds to nest and they can carry disease.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Pine needles are pokey. I agree with Mountain Peeps here. I let some young chicks out among some pokey pine needles this spring and one of them got a poke thru the skin of the leg and got an abscess. Had to bandage up the poor baby. LOL But you could always give it a try and if the needles become a problem, you could rake them up. If these trees are sappy, it may get on the birds feathers. Just keep an eye out for issues.

Welcome to our flock!

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

you could always give it a try and if the needles become a problem, you could rake them up. If these trees are sappy, it may get on the birds feathers. Just keep an eye out for issues.

Welcome to our flock!
That's a good suggestion. No disrespect meant to any other members, but my chickens always seemed to enjoy scratching among the pine needles and they never created any problems for my flock. :eek:)

Oh, no problem Michael! With my flock, if there is ANY chance they can get hurt, they do and WILL!
lol.png
I have a very accident prone flock. So I have to assume others do as well!
gig.gif
And I may have been the exception rather than the rule. I've been blessed in having very few injury or illness problems with my flocks over the years. Hopefully, it will stay that way. :eek:)

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

My chickens haven't had any problems with pine needles, either. But, they aren't on them all the time (only when ranging outside of their run).

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

My chickens have never had a problem with pine needles, though I'm sure accidents can happen.

Back
Top Bottom