Coop and Run Questions

AUChick9202

Songster
Apr 9, 2011
Utah
I am currently building our coop. When I had chickens about 6 years ago, I put down a piece of sheet linoleum on the floor and that worked great for clean out. I was in Lowe's yesterday and they no longer sell sheet linoleum, so what is a good alternative to put down on the floor?

Also, we will have an 8x12 covered run attached to our coop. Right now this area is mostly dirt. What should I put down as a surface? Would sand work?

I am currently building our coop. When I had chickens about 6 years ago, I put down a piece of sheet linoleum on the floor and that worked great for clean out. I was in Lowe's yesterday and they no longer sell sheet linoleum, so what is a good alternative to put down on the floor?

Also, we will have an 8x12 covered run attached to our coop. Right now this area is mostly dirt. What should I put down as a surface? Would sand work?
I just used two coats of Behr Porch and Floor paint. It's holding up great.
I use wood chips in the run. A thick layer, 4 to 6 inches.

Since you are in Utah, which is more of a dry climate, you could use coarse sand. But, chunky deep-litter is a hands-down favorite run material. If interested in sand, there are plenty of threads that mention its use...you'll want to look for comments from people that have used it and like it. Generally negative issues with sand are in wet/humid environments.

We used floor vinyl to cover the coop floor. But, Some people paint it with durable exterior paint - like porch paint. Some use BlackJack 57, which is a rubberized thick "paint" meant for roofs, but works well on coop floors!.

Main reasons for me using wood chips is they provide excellent drainage, are fairly easy to store and handle (moving a cart of chips is nothing compared to moving a cart of sand or gravel!), and for me, are free.

Back
Top Bottom