Coop and surrounding oder control needed

TT43

Songster
Aug 26, 2019
Hi Everyone!

How do you keep the odor down in the run area for your birds? I have chickens, turkey's and ducks and it smells horrible after all of this rain. Are there any tricks that I don't know about? šŸ˜Š

I add a lot of straw or hay, but then after the rains stop, I will even go in and make mini hay stacks so the ground drys out underneath. The chickens will rescatter the hay stack.

Dry is important. But another cause of smell, is wasted feed. Sometimes people feed too much, and a lot is trampled into the dirt, get that wet enough and it starts to rot and stink.

Established deep litter with good soil drainage = almost no smell, even if you crouch right down in the run after a hard rain. People have walked by my run and said they thought it wasn't in use, because they never smelled anything and thought that they would if there were chickens there.

A roofed run can help as well, if drainage is adequate but not super great.

Hi Everyone!

How do you keep the odor down in the run area for your birds? I have chickens, turkey's and ducks and it smells horrible after all of this rain. Are there any tricks that I don't know about? šŸ˜Š
Established deep litter with good soil drainage = almost no smell, even if you crouch right down in the run after a hard rain. People have walked by my run and said they thought it wasn't in use, because they never smelled anything and thought that they would if there were chickens there.

A roofed run can help as well, if drainage is adequate but not super great.
Ty. We have half covered to keep them some shade.

Back
Top Bottom