Coop bedding suggestions??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BethMatt, Mar 6, 2016.

1. BethMatt

BethMatt Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2015
    We have just made it through our 1st winter using the deep litter method ( worked VERY well) now that it's warmer I need to switch the bedding out, I had sand last yr witch worked very well also BUT this year we are adding ducks to our flock & using sand is not a good thing being that they bed on the floor & not on a roost....so any suggestions?? Hay? Straw? Pine shavings? How do you maintain it daily to keep from smell & flies??

2. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    I use pine/cedar shavings. I put a bit of cracked corn or other treat in the shavings every so often so that the chickens will rotate the dirty ones to the bottom and bring clean ones to the top. The shavings last quite a while for me. It has been since January since i cleaned the coop, but it needs cleaned soonsince it is starting to stink.
    As for flies, in the summer i like to use a barn, coop, and livestock fly spray. After all the chickens are outside of course. You'll also want to make sure none gets in water or food. :)

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Don't know what to recommend for ducks....
    but just wanted to note that:
    Aromatic cedar shavings can be a respiratory irritant, best to not use them in a coop.

4. ChickenLover200

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    I've never had a problem with the respiratory, but yeah, with ducks, another thing to note is that the shavings weren't good because they got packed together instead of being rotated :)

5. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    I also know little about keeping ducks.

Are you worried that the sand will get too hot? Not absorb enough? Be less comfy?

If you offered the ducks an separate area on the ground that had something like chopped straw and used sand in the rest of the coop, do you think they would use the "sleepin area"? Or would they just lay down wherever?

6. BethMatt

BethMatt Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2015

I have never had ducks, this will be my first, I'm worried that it won't be a good enough bedding for them to lay, I hear they don't lay in boxes so there's a chance that their eggs will break as well.

7. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  8. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Muscovy ducks are a tree duck apparently and like to roost and have extremely sharp claws. That being said mine stayed on the floor for the most part until the duck took over one of the nesting boxes to incubate her brood.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  9. ChickenLover200

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    My muscovies never roosted, but beat up the chickens (they were housed with just tiny bantams and the drake only had one girl...)and so they ended up free range.

1 person likes this.
  10. ChickityChina

ChickityChina Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2016
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Hahaha! Great trick! It's like hiding my son's Xbox controller and telling him it's somewhere under the crap in his messy room so he has to clean it up LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by