1. SoccerMomof7

SoccerMomof7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Kansas
    What is the cheapest, without compromising their health, bedding for chickens? My family has just recently taken a major paycut, about $700 a month, I need to try to find ways to cut back. My local feed store sells 3 cu ft of wood shavings for almost 8 bucks, and I go through 1 a week so I am trying to see if anybody else uses something else.

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Uhg! I know exactly where you are coming from. My hubby's been out of work for nine months!

Anyway... I have nine hens in my hen house. I am able to get the larger bags of bedding (9 cu. ft.) for about $5.00 here. I had to call around as there was a big difference in prices at different feed stores. I use the deep litter method and go through about one bag every month. Walmart is now selling shavings here (never use cedar) but my local feedstore is still cheaper where I live.

You could try to find a local wood working shop that might have shavings for free? You would just need to make sure they don't mix cedar in with it. Put out a wanted ad on your local Craigslist and see if you get any responses. Also, you could try your local Freecycle forum.

I know others use bedding like straw, hay or even sand but I see too many 'issues' with those plus I don't really think you save money using them. Unless you got it for free.

3. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    You could try straw or hay but I bet it is probably more expensive then the pine shavings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by