Coop Build So Far

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TheBrumstead, Aug 16, 2011.

1. TheBrumstead

TheBrumstead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Hobart, IN
    3 days in the build, looking good so far! It's the Purina 4x4 coop with modifications.

My husband and uncle are doing most of the work. The kennel is 12x7.

[​IMG]

Roof panels are on. I couldn't do the Ondura panels. My uncle picked up smoked translucent ones. Since he paid for it, I'm not complaining. I'm going to cover this area with hardware cloth and then close off part of it for the winter if needed.

[​IMG]

Clean out/chicken door combo.

[​IMG]

Skylight. Yes, the roof is a pallet.

[​IMG]

Looking good so far!

[​IMG]

There are vents on both sides and the back. There will be a window on one side, roost on the other. I'm not going to do external nest boxes, I got a big "NO" for that [​IMG] So I'm going to use milk crates inside.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  2. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    I like it, I did the same thing with a dog pen, I also put chicken wire around the bottom and ran more about a foot away from the pen and let the grass grow through it to keep the diggers out. I also put 2x4's at each end of the pen sticking up about 2ft and another between them for a roof using a tarp but i may switch it out to netting.

3. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    You may want to move the coop outside the dog kennel and use hardware cloth around the bottom of it. This will give them the entire dog kennel plus under the coop for shade.

4. TheBrumstead

May 9, 2011
    Hobart, IN
    With the coop raised, they should be easily able to get under it where it is... I don't understand why I would move it out of the kennel?

eta: They will have supervised time in the pasture too.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  5. Nikkumz

Nikkumz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    Quote:I think thats a good idea, and your right they will have all underneath it also, but chickens do fly lol..You could put a big roost in thier for them from one side of the kennel to the other. How many chickens do you have?
    Also, how high is the coop off the ground?
    I didnt realize how big my rooster would be and he couldnt fit underneath my first coop...Hes over 2 foot tall and my hens are getting up there too.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  6. TheBrumstead

May 9, 2011
    Hobart, IN
    Quote:0 chickens right now! lol Have to get the coop built first. I will be getting 3 to start, and then looking for an EE, so 4 max (that's all my husband is allowing).

The coop is 18 inches off the ground.

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Very nice coop. I'm sure your chickens will love it.

Imp

8. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Up there in In. those skylights Might be ok.But her on central TEX coast I Put them on my patio when I replaced the metal 1every other sheet ,was so hot ( Noticeably) from what it had been we waited on a cool morning and replace them with metal.Everything was COOL again (well as cool )as it gets here in aug..101.7 today.So if its getting TOO hot in there in summer it might be problem.The added light was a +...Just my 2c worth...cva34

9. spotstealer

spotstealer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Poynette, WI
    Are you keeping the guys fenced in until they finish (first pic)?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. erlibrd

erlibrd Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Oct 8, 2010
    mn
    Quote:ha ha:lau

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by