Coop Build So Far

TheBrumstead

Songster
8 Years
May 9, 2011
Hobart, IN
3 days in the build, looking good so far! It's the Purina 4x4 coop with modifications.

My husband and uncle are doing most of the work. The kennel is 12x7.

coop-day2b.jpg

Roof panels are on. I couldn't do the Ondura panels. My uncle picked up smoked translucent ones. Since he paid for it, I'm not complaining. I'm going to cover this area with hardware cloth and then close off part of it for the winter if needed.

coopday3-3.jpg

Clean out/chicken door combo.

coopday3-2.jpg

Skylight. Yes, the roof is a pallet.

coopday3-4.jpg

Looking good so far!

coopday3-9.jpg

There are vents on both sides and the back. There will be a window on one side, roost on the other. I'm not going to do external nest boxes, I got a big "NO" for that
smile.png
So I'm going to use milk crates inside.

Last edited:
I like it, I did the same thing with a dog pen, I also put chicken wire around the bottom and ran more about a foot away from the pen and let the grass grow through it to keep the diggers out. I also put 2x4's at each end of the pen sticking up about 2ft and another between them for a roof using a tarp but i may switch it out to netting.

With the coop raised, they should be easily able to get under it where it is... I don't understand why I would move it out of the kennel?

eta: They will have supervised time in the pasture too.

Last edited:
Quote:
I think thats a good idea, and your right they will have all underneath it also, but chickens do fly lol..You could put a big roost in thier for them from one side of the kennel to the other. How many chickens do you have?
Also, how high is the coop off the ground?
I didnt realize how big my rooster would be and he couldnt fit underneath my first coop...Hes over 2 foot tall and my hens are getting up there too.

Last edited:
Quote:
0 chickens right now! lol Have to get the coop built first. I will be getting 3 to start, and then looking for an EE, so 4 max (that's all my husband is allowing).

The coop is 18 inches off the ground.

Up there in In. those skylights Might be ok.But her on central TEX coast I Put them on my patio when I replaced the metal 1every other sheet ,was so hot ( Noticeably) from what it had been we waited on a cool morning and replace them with metal.Everything was COOL again (well as cool )as it gets here in aug..101.7 today.So if its getting TOO hot in there in summer it might be problem.The added light was a +...Just my 2c worth...cva34

Back
Top Bottom