Coop Builders - What would you have changed or done differently?

i built a 12' x4' tractor for 4 hens,now used to house the 19 babies just out of the brooder, have a new 18' x6' coop but now need to build another one probably bigger ,as i have another 26 eggs in the incubator .chicken math lol either that or move to the caravan & give the house to the chickens
lau.gif

Thanks to threads like this and the help and advice of lovely people like yourselves, we were very happy with our first coop. We built most of it from reclaimed pallets but it still cost almost $300.00 by the time we were done. I have since hung the waterer from the roof, and the feeder works best when placed on cinder blocks. We also added fencing around this main coop so the girls have a large pen to hang out and hunt for bugs and relax in. I keep feed in galvanized trash bin inside the coop now. The one thing I wish we had done was lay hardware cloth all the way underneath the coop. I am always worried something will dig underneath and kill the girls in their sleep.

I would have made it WAAAAY bigger...it was originally 8 x 8 and then we doubled the length to 16'. I would have invested in COVERED runs (covered, as in with a solid roof). I might still do that but not for a while...lastly, different roosts and even more ventilation. My smaller coop has better ventilation but it's only 6' x 6' and just holds two bantam breeds. :)

Just jumping into this thread and haven't read all posts. Our first coop was an a-frame tractor style with the run under the coop. We only have 3 bantams (and limited to 6 in our town), so this seemed like a good start. One side of the top opened up for cleaning, and access to the girls and interior. This was lovely in the spring, summer and fall. We could even keep it open for much of the day for more air circulation, light and easy access. Then the snowing, blowing winter came and it was lousy. Prior to opening it up to get to the girls, food, water, we had to sweep the snow off with a broom, or break the ice clumps. Snow always seemed to blow into the coop, and it was a pain in the patoots. Plus it was cold and uncomfortable being out doing the chicken chores.

Prior to the next winter we built a building 5x6 that we can walk into. we put a stool in there so that we can sit and visit our chickens even on a snowy day, plus has room for feed, and other supplies. Nice!

My coop is penthouse style with the classic gang plank ramp leading to the roost. This way they can hang out under the roost and it gets it off the ground. The entire penthouse is inside of the walk in coop. On the back side of the roost I hinged the entire back wall. I just pull the locks down and the entire back wall folds down so I can clean and access the roost and nesting boxes at waist level from behind. It is very convienant. My chickens are soo spoiled. You ought to see it when the lab and the chickens are all laying against eachother taking an afternoon nap in the shade of the nectarine tree.

There are some great coops here and lots of excellent advice too. If I were to do it all over I would have finished the coop BEFORE getting my chicks... I picked then up from the feed store on a beautiful 65 degree spring morning expecting to have them out in the coop in a few weeks and then it rained for six weeks straight and on and off for another three weeks...

What I learned for this is that 10 week old chicks can make a really big mess in your utility room fill your whole house with dust and result in having to have your furnace ducts professionally cleaned.

Last edited:
Building everything in 2 foot increments helps with lumber, roofing materials, wire, etc.
Paint the floor of the coop for easier cleaning.
Hinge the back wall of the nesting box instead of the lid. Less chance of rain running in.
Put a roof over the entire run.
Hang food and water under the coop and make an easy access to reach in and hang it.
Make sure your clean out door goes all the way to floor level. No lip.

Building everything in 2 foot increments helps with lumber, roofing materials, wire, etc.
Paint the floor of the coop for easier cleaning.
Hinge the back wall of the nesting box instead of the lid. Less chance of rain running in.
Put a roof over the entire run.
Hang food and water under the coop and make an easy access to reach in and hang it.
Make sure your clean out door goes all the way to floor level. No lip.

Love the design, beautiful coop and great suggestions for improvements :)

Back
Top Bottom