coop building advice- need too insulate or not

I live in a fairly mild area - doesn't really get below 30 degrees here.

I do have my coop insulated, but with straw stuffed into the walls. So far I like it this way (but it's still new)

Where I live we typically see 2-3 weeks of -10 to -15 degree temps, and 10' of snow is not out of the ordinary. I've never insulated a coop, and I stopped heating them as well. Insulation in outbuildings is an open invitation to the neighborhood rodent population for free housing.

Where I live we typically see 2-3 weeks of -10 to -15 degree temps, and 10' of snow is not out of the ordinary. I've never insulated a coop, and I stopped heating them as well. Insulation in outbuildings is an open invitation to the neighborhood rodent population for free housing.

Don't think for a minute they won't make their way into an insulated heated either. I have had mice in my house but not in the coop. My coop is raised so mice are not an issue,if they can get through 1/2" plywood and 1" lap board they can make a home.

I'm going to build a coop and have a ventilation question. with openings at the eaves or at the peak, does the coop need openings anyplace else to properly vent the coop? Anyplace else like down near the floor to create a draft. My coop will be 4x4 with a slanted steel roof going from 5.5ft to 5ft. Thanks

There is a helpful article about ventilation int he "learning" section here...

Some one mentioned frost bite. Chickens put of alot of heat and humididy so good ventilation is important. My coop, which will house five hens max, is going to be about 4X6 (24 square feet) and will have a little over two square feet of ventilation. Plus another 3 square feet of summer time ventilation provided by a removable floor under the roost

Sounds like we have similar weather conditions. I insulated more to keep it cooler in the summer. Insulating drops the temp inside the coop by a good 15 degrees. It doesn't cost that much so I figure it's worth the effort, less worry for me on those hot days.

Not being a chicken owner, coop building is new to me. I raised ring necked pheasants and they didn' require housing, just a place to perch and food and water. Are the coops still hot at night when the birds go to roost? Windows will allow more ventilation during the warm months, wll leaving the windows open in the summer and having the wind blow on them bother them as they roost or is this just a problem in the winter with cold air? Thanks.

... Will leaving the windows open in the summer and having the wind blow on them bother them as they roost or is this just a problem in the winter with cold air? Thanks.

I think that, at lease during warm weather, shutting birds into coops at night is for their protection and that you don't need to if you are completly confident that your run is predator proof. But determined nocturnal critters can dig under or even break through if they have enough time, so you'd have to be very sure.

A working window is a great way to control the heat in a coop since it will push the warmer air out of the roof vents. And also, I would think that chickens would enjoy a window, but then again, I have a tendency to give my pets human traits!

Back
Top Bottom