Coop building in process and learning about what chickens to add!

CDA15

Chirping
Jun 19, 2017
OHIO
Hello Chicken experts! Our family has been wanting chickens for years. So we've decided to go for it! Hubby is finishing up the coop and it's my job to figure out what chickens work best. The chicken coop was on my husbands chore list as a kid, so he has some knowledge on caring for them. But we're both looking to learn which chickens or chicks are best to start with. Chicks or started pullets? Looking forward to learning from everyone!

Welcome to BYC.

Starting with chicks is the way to go in my opinion.
You would know what they are feed and how they are raised from the beginning.
Sometimes starting with old birds brings problems, such as worms and diseases.

Welcome to BYC.

Starting with chicks is the way to go in my opinion.
You would know what they are feed and how they are raised from the beginning.
Sometimes starting with old birds brings problems, such as worms and diseases.
Thank you for your reply. I've been reading up on caring for chicks and it doesn't seem too hard. I'm thinking it may be the way to go, especially if I want to select certain breeds.

I'm hatching and raising chicks right now...and I don't think it is hard at all. I truly enjoy taking care of them and they are the funniest little things! My husband came downstairs to see what I was doing the other night after I told him I was going to check on the babies and had been gone for 30 minutes! I got all caught up in what we call Chicken TV. Dorothy, one of my 3 week olds could see her reflection in the brooder and was just talking to herself and running to catch her new friend!! I was rolling in the floor laughing at her!

Chicken TV is the best show in town. Live action, no reruns, no cable or satellite bills - what's Not to like? I think chicks are best because sometimes older birds have not been socialized and are very skittish. Although that is sometimes common in certain breeds.

I'm hatching and raising chicks right now...and I don't think it is hard at all. I truly enjoy taking care of them and they are the funniest little things! My husband came downstairs to see what I was doing the other night after I told him I was going to check on the babies and had been gone for 30 minutes! I got all caught up in what we call Chicken TV. Dorothy, one of my 3 week olds could see her reflection in the brooder and was just talking to herself and running to catch her new friend!! I was rolling in the floor laughing at her!
ok, this makes me want to get chicks! thank you for sharing!

IMG_0881.JPG

Making progress and it since this is a weekend project for my husband, getting chicks gives us time to finish it up. At what age do you send the chickens to the coop? I saw 6 weeks some places and 8 weeks others?

Last edited:
View attachment 1049575
Making progress and it since this is a weekend project for my husband, getting the chicks, gives us time to finish it up. At what age do you send the chickens to the coop? I saw 6 weeks some places and 8 weeks others?
It depends on factors such as temperatures outside and how rapidly they feather out to the point of being able to maintain in those temperatures. Managed with minimal supplemental heat they can be ready to go out at 4 weeks in pretry cool temps. If you have the ability to use electric in the coop you can brood them in the coop from day one (except in your car as the coop is not yet ready)

Back
Top Bottom