Coop Building Reference Table....(suggestion area only)

River Lizard

Songster
10 Years
May 29, 2009
Varina, VA
I PM'd Rob (Admin) with a suggestion of making a sticky topic at the top of the Coop & Run Design and Construction Section so users would reference "key elements" of building Coops & Runs. This would be a standard generic list of Do's and Don'ts in constructions and some "how to's" also including links to instructions.

Not sure how we can build this table...other than have members post here suggestions and we review each of them and then if it is in agreement with the majority of the members, I'll post it in a second Topic that I'll continue to "re-edit" as more items are added.

I'm hoping that we can have a large reference table so new Coop/Run builders can review the list and find some great helpful information before they get started.

What do you all think?
How's this for an outline:

A. Coop Construction:
a. Size vs Chickens:
b. Site Location:
- Wind
- Sun
- Drainage
- Other

c. Foundation:
- Concrete
- Other

d. Sub-floor:
- Cost
- Concerns
- Height of sub-floor
- Other

e. Walls (includes doors and windows):
- Construction of
- Framing
- Headers
-
- Materials to use
- Purchased Wood Products
- Non-purchased Items
- Other

- Insulation
- Climate Zones
- How can it improve your coop
- Cost

f. Roof :
- Types of Materials
- Construction tips
- Other

g. Ventilation:
- Manual
- Electric
- Concerns
- Climate Zones

h. Paint/sealing:
- Exterior
- Interior
- Other

i. Food/water fixtures:
- Items that can be purchased
- Homemade Items

j. Other items:
I. Nesting boxes
- Recommended standard size is 12" x 12" x 12" with a ratio of 1 box per ? (birds per box)
II. Roost
- Requirements
- Materials

III. Predator safe-guard hints:
K. Tools for construction.

B. Run Construction:
a. Size vs Chickens:
b. Ground:
c. Post:
d. Fencing:
e. Cover:
f. Predator safe-guard hints:
I.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, that would be one of the items listed on the table. Also, how to build stair stringers. I believe Gophorboy <SP> had a good example of that one on his post.

Quote:
sounds like the best way. one thread to find pros and cons would have been helpfull to me. perhaps it could be configured in an outline format with sub catagories. with so many "right ways" to build this could be a rather complicated project.

Quote:
sounds like the best way. one thread to find pros and cons would have been helpfull to me. perhaps it could be configured in an outline format with sub catagories. with so many "right ways" to build this could be a rather complicated project.

Oh definitely....and I'm sure we'll make a few mistakes along the way but I think the outcome would benefit everyone who's considering building a coop or run.

Quote:
Not a bad thought at all, RL. Your list is looking good. Item "b." (Ground) might could be changed to "Site Survey". What about a listing for "fixtures" such as waterers and feeders or would you just want it to deal with only the actual construction of the run/coop?

There's plenty of books that give plans for building coops and runs in them (and some of them are pretty good!) but I see so much "fine-tuning" information along with original ideas here on BYC that could make those coops even better!

Sounds like a good idea!!!
Ed

I've stickied this FANTASTIC idea.

I love initiative projects like this! Imagine if only 10% of our members pulled together like this in all areas of chicken raising. We'd have a resource 1000 times better than the amazing stuff we already have.

Keep up the great work everybody!

I was typing this in a PM to Jeff, but figured it was good for everyone to read.
smile.png

As this thing progresses I want to add it to the BYC Learning Center. The best format would be this:

1) A BYC Page with all the organized info, and then linking to a forum discussion thread about the topic and for more ideas / suggestion.
2) The forum thread would begin by linking to the page above and request feedback and ideas.

The BYC Page could be created by you and/or other members using the "BYC Page Creator", or I could copy it over to a static page like the majority of the pages in the Learning Center.

Just tossing ideas out there. Let me know what you think.

Back
Top Bottom