Coop Construction pixs #2 WALLS UP!!!!!

Looks really good. I am prejudiced because I did mine the same way regards base/legs in cement. I used 6" creosote poles I had on hand for my legs. One thing I did tho was to glue linoleum down before doing walls. That way, when I hose it out, no water can leak behind the linoleum to cause a problem, plus it is easier to get a perfect fit. I did caulk around all four walls afterwards tho. I even ran 16" tall strips of linoleum up between each stud, that tapers outward to overlap bottom plate of wall to meet the floor. I did that so that I could easily hose it out when litter changing time comes around. I caulked all arond those too for same reason.

I see that you are having a bumpout for nest boxes on back side. Do enough roof overhang to protect the seam where the hinges mount on the lid to prevent rain leakage into the nests. You could even nail up a strip of baseboard vinyl to where part of it is under the siding on the back side and part of it extends out to cover the joint where the lid meets the wall, where the hinges are. Prevents windblown rain leakage into nests. Also, I would figure on leaving the space between the rafters unfilled to provide all-round full-perimeter, full-time ventilation. It will be where it is needed most, at the top of the coop, above it's walls. Can cover holes with hardware cloth to keep snakes, weasels out.
cool.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom