Coop Construction update***PIC HEAVY UPDATED*** 3/19

The coop is 5X6 and the run totals 5X12. As far as the leaking hinges, you areexactly right. I am currently looking for a piece of roofing felt or something like that. The window hasnt been a problem. Hopefully I will finish this week and will post the final pics. Thanks for the comments.

thumbsup.gif

Im curious if I should make the opening for my nesting boxes smaller. I thought about covering them with plywood and cutting about a ten inch diameter circle for the entry way to each one for them to get into it. Any thoughts?

Looks great, we are in the final stages for ours too!! I had one side completed and I put the chickens in yesterday. I already see one thing I should have done differently. My coop is 7 ft tall and the chickens are roosting on top of the nesting boxes. There was even an egg there this morning after I painstakingly filled there boxes with hay and shavings. It was only their first night so I took the egg and put it in one of the boxes so she'll know. We'll see. Im gonna post pictures later when I get home from work. Love yours though!!

Quote:
A piece of vinyl baseboard would make a fairly durable source of flexible flashing for a hinged area. Another thing would be a scrap of linoleum and yet another is sheet rubber such as that found at Home Depot. Felt would last the shortest amount of time of all of there I think. Proper amount of roof overhang is a must for exposed hinges. It would be goofy looking, but enough overhang to get out of the rain while getting the eggs can be a blessing, especially in the Pacific Northwest where yearly rainfalls are high.
wink.png

Love the coop. I just showed it to my husband in hopes that he build me something like this for my chicks. Thanks for all the updated photos. Looking forward to more.

Back
Top Bottom