Coop Construction update***PIC HEAVY UPDATED*** 3/19

Well Im almost there. Here are the lates pics.
IMG_4372.jpg

The pop door is going to be automatic when I get the money
IMG_4378.jpg

I have three roost. I hinged the top and have an I hook on the bottom. when I lift it up to clean, I will connect it to a chain hanging from the ceiling.
IMG_4375.jpg

I read everywhere on here about ventilation. So.. I cut a hole in the roof (painfull decision) and added a box fan to draw air out and through the windows. I also added an access door to work on the fan if needed.
IMG_4376.jpg

This is just a pic of the window. I keep it open with a wooden dowel connected with a chain.
IMG_4373.jpg

Please chime in with your thoughts, or needed changes.

I dig what you have done. Just found this thread today, so I haven't been following along. What did you do for earth contact? Are the 2x4s on something? Footings or pavers?

medtec113-great looking chicken quarters. They'll love it.
Is there some type of cover over the fan in the roof or will rain be pouring into the fan and your chicken house?
Don't know where you're located but here in DFW, Texas the wind would make short work of the white panels. The lateral supports are on the small side.

Good looking job and your taking pains to complete good work are very evident. The ceiling fan was an excellent idea since the upper side walls are closed off. You will be glad you have it when the weather turns hot.

I wired for a 52" ceiling fan in my coop and will install it this spring. It will hang up in the cavity in my home made /\\ trusses. It has it's own wall switch that I wired in while building my coop last year. I will use it only on hot days to supplement the built-in ventilation. I put two 12 x12 gable vents, and made two full-length continuous soffit vents when I built my coop. I also installed a salvaged 18" turbine vent. My ceiling fan will hang directly beneath that turbine vent. I also will set an old box fan in the west window to run continuously overnight on medium speed. I can just set a 2 x 6 across the two perch support arms in that window (or the east window) and run the fan via a short drop cord since I also installed two duplex AC outlets inside the coop. I figured that you never know what you want to put in later so why not add the outlets since I already had two double fluorescent shop lights overhead anyway. Who knows? I may even pipe in some Strauss or Bach to relax my inmates.
lol.png

The fan is located under roof so no water will get itno the coop. it will vernt out of the open (wired) side under the run. As far as earth contact goes. it is built on treated lumber. and the white panels are actually roofing panels. There are approx. 40 screwws per 2x8 panel.

Quote:
I think I might have a beer with my chickens when they move in. Are you planning on using the flourescent lighting? If so, I read somewhere that that might be a problem. Not sure if thats what you meant or just that you had the pwr supply already. Thanks BTW for the compliments.

I use the lights only in AM for chores. I also use them at night briefly to have a look around before lockdown. I never use any light to make their days longer. I got 20 eggs a day from my 23 pullets all winter long, so why disrupt their natural winter cycle? (my chooks must think it is summertime.
lol.png
) I ran power, water, and an 8 pair tel cable to my coop site before breaking ground there. I installed a hydrant in my run to avoid carrying water.

You did good. clean. and professional looking work, and I am only to happy to recognize it.

Gerry
cool.png

I'm afraid I have to disagree with everyone here. I commend your effort, but I don't think it will work for you. This coop is a good START, but you need to try again. Therefore, because I am so generous, I'll take this one and get it out of your hair so you have room to work on your new coop. I'll even come pick it up. How's tomorrow afternoon?

smile.png
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom