Coop conversion?

MOZFarm

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 5, 2014
NW Florida
Hello from Panama City, FL!
I'm planning my first flock next spring. In the meantime, I spend hours on this site reading and studying. I especially like to read the What Breed/Gender? thread. I try to guess the breed/gender before reading the comments and then check if I'm right. I'm hoping it makes great practice for next year.
One thing I'm considering for a coop that I'd like opinions on. When we purchased our property, there are a pair of permanent dog kennels. They are about 4x4 each, roofed, floored with 2x6 lumber, fenced with chain link, about 2 ft off the ground, have people gates, and have their own dog house inside. Am I crazy to want to convert these to a chicken coop?

A dog run can be a good start for a chicken coop / pen. Chain link fence is not predator proof, so you will want to add hardware wire to keep predators from reaching in and grabbing your birds, trying to pull them through the fence. At 4x4, you will probable want more space, unless you plan on keeping 1 or 2 chickens in each. Post pictures so we can see what you are starting with.

I have a chain link dog run that I converted into a coop. Its 10 x 10 x 6 but Thomas Boyle is right. it is NOT predator proof. I took half inch hardware cloth. and layered it over the chainlink. This has been a GREAT coop for me in the hot Texas climate I live in. Can you post a picture to give us better ideas of what you are working with? It sounds like you might have the makings of a great coop, but pictures would help us advise you better :)

A dog run can be a good start for a chicken coop / pen. Chain link fence is not predator proof, so you will want to add hardware wire to keep predators from reaching in and grabbing your birds, trying to pull them through the fence. At 4x4, you will probable want more space, unless you plan on keeping 1 or 2 chickens in each. Post pictures so we can see what you are starting with. 

I will get some photos by tomorrow.

I definitely want to add hardwire to protect the birds. I'm hoping to be able to cut a tunnel between the attached wall so the birds can move freely between the two sides. It's nice and shady on that tree line, but I also want to ensure proper ventilation. I would be adding a run and allowing supervised free ranging.

Last edited:
Here it is. My husband says the overall size is 8ft x 10ft.

Last edited:
I have a 12x12 dog kennel surrounding my coop which stands off the ground 18" it serves as the run and the elvated coop gives them extra space and a place to hide from the rain. The chain link is large predator proof. I covered the kennel with chicken wire attached to old fence post and pvc pipe. My neighbor offered it for free and all of my coop material was left over from jobs( I am a carpenter). I don't think I spent a dime out of pocket to build it. Chickens are tough birds and really don't need much.

This would be a great coop. I would add 1/2" hardware wire fencing on the inside of the chain link fence to keep smaller predators from squeezing thought the chain link fence. You could paint the wood to help preserve it from the elements and add a personal touch to it. Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom