Coop Critique...Advice needed before Purchase

ssramage

Songster
10 Years
Mar 8, 2013
St. Simons Island, GA
Looking to purchase a coop similar to this for 4-6 chickens. They’re built to order so it’s a blank slate. Not sure why the nesting box is so high but it needs to come way down first off...

Dimensions are 4’w x 6’l x 5’h. Run is same size.

Coop will be in coastal southeast GA.

Thoughts on this coop and if it were a blank slate, how would you arrange it? Modifications needed? Some will likely be done by builder and some by me.

Attachments

• 0BB519D4-2003-420E-BF4C-656CB9B7ABDE.png
    0BB519D4-2003-420E-BF4C-656CB9B7ABDE.png
    384.1 KB · Views: 25
The only question I have is ... I always read that the chickens need about a 4' x 4' minimum space per chicken. With that theory, why does most of the all the coop + runs seem so small?? Or am I reading it wrong??

Sorry to be a little off subject.

Hi,
The screen mesh is to large. It needs to be covered with no larger then 1/2 inch square hardware cloth. In NC we called it rat wire. Predators will get in there and kill all your chickens.

Thanks. I had planned on doubling with smaller diameter hardware cloth at the bottom as part of my coon proofing. Additionally it will sit on concrete blocks with buried fencing to prevent digging. Good point though.

How do you get into the run?
I'd extend that roof at the front. As it is, the water will drop into the run or it'll blow in if you get a breath of wind
If you can, go full height. having to stoop will annoy you, trust me.

+1
I am 6' and built a 4'(w)x6'(l)x5'(h) run. if i could change one thing it would be to add an extra foot to the height!!

Make a door so you can access the run area. I would make the whole one end a door or you will have to lift the whole coop up to get in the run, unless you will fit through the doorways. I can't tell how big they are or how easy they will be to get through to the run.

I'm only 5'4" or 5" so I wouldn't have to stoop as much, but it would still annoy me. Being able to stand up properly when you are cleaning, or trying to grab a girl, or whatever is a necessity, IMO. I used to have a low run and it was fine for the girls, but not fine for me having to crawl inside. crawling, stooping, anything "abnormal", no, no, no!

Back
Top Bottom