coop deoderizer

I mix either one or the other whichever I can get a hold of in the sand in my run as well as the shavings in the coop. It's keeps everything dry and not smelly. If the poo dries up, less flies.... I love it!

Quote:
Actually there's a lot more to it than that. Food grade diatomaceous earth (aka DE ) is processed differently, so you must be sure it's FOOD GRADE . Pool grade de , used in pool filters will kill your animals. I get mine from a local health food store who sells me a 50# bag for $18. That's waaay cheaper than anything I ever found online or at nurserys (it is also used in the landscape for insect control).
I just want to emphasize again that there is a huge difference in food grade de and something you get from a pool supply, so be aware .

I had one turkey in with my chickens and I used food grade DE in the coup. It just helps dry things up and in the summer time that means a lot less flies. I'm too lazy to scrape nasty poop boards. I do the deep litter method and as I go I sprinkle a little DE down before I add more pine shavings. I last cleaned my coup in November. There's about 6 inches of litter in the coup now. It needs to be cleaned, but that's not happening for another month or two. Time for another layer of DE and pine shavings.

Back
Top Bottom