coop design questions

not 100% sure but 95% sure not honeybee and know not bumblebee. maybe paper wasp or yellow jackets? They are mainly around my hummingbird feeders and around my back door. just don't want them building anything in the coop and having me go in there and getting stung. I am not "allergic" but last year I was stung near my elbow and my arm from just above my elbow down swelled up about 2x the size and was itchy for about 2-3 weeks! My main thing is just keeping them out of the coop. And yes it is normal window screen.

It might be good to make a new thread about keeping wasps and bees out of the coop. That way people who have good ideas will know you need help and people who need help can easily find the thread because of the title. :)

Fancy.. built mine out of materials on hand.. Dirt floor.. Corrugated steel, pool liner roof cover and some plywood for door.. Plenty ventilation.. cracks everywhere.. There is one window covered in hardware cloth in the door and old sash, maybe four foot wide door, Which I leave open in the good weather, At the far end North is a window as large as coop is wide. Chickens broke and have to fix.. On a hinge I can open in good weather. My egg house is attached by a small doorway and ramp.. Two windows East and West.. covered in hardware cloth to keep out varmints,. with hinged windows of plastic whatever. Till broken by chickens again, open in good weather and short door for me.. Run is probably 30 x 40.. plus minus. Egg house and roost taking up most of one end, maybe 16 too 20 x 6 plus/minus.. 35 chickens or so.. They move around too much to get accurate count.

not 100% sure but 95% sure not honeybee and know not bumblebee. maybe paper wasp or yellow jackets? My main thing is just keeping them out of the coop. And yes it is normal window screen.

Ugh, yellow jackets. I keep a supply of traps for them and put them out as needed. Some years are fine, other times they're just all over. Have issue with paper wasps building nests in our eaves too, so my pest guy looks for them and knocks them down.

We have window screens in our coop windows. Doesn't impact ventilation (and even helps keep out some rain) as long as they don't get too clogged up with dust. I mask/suit up and I take in a leaf blower and blow them out each fall.

Ugh, yellow jackets. I keep a supply of traps for them and put them out as needed. Some years are fine, other times they're just all over. Have issue with paper wasps building nests in our eaves too, so my pest guy looks for them and knocks them down.

We have window screens in our coop windows. Doesn't impact ventilation (and even helps keep out some rain) as long as they don't get too clogged up with dust. I mask/suit up and I take in a leaf blower and blow them out each fall.
Thanks. we have lots of leaf blowers. :)

do the traps catch other types of bees or wasps or just yellow jackets? I think I am going to get some traps this year.

Run framed. Need to put roof on the 8' section. And braces on the 10' section

Attachments

• IMG_20210508_172646394.jpg
    IMG_20210508_172646394.jpg
    931.4 KB · Views: 4
finally got a coat of blackjack 57 on floor and partway up the walls. And also did the poop boards. Most of the run has HW cloth on it, still have a few sections left but I have carpal tunnel so gave my wrist/hand a break today from cutting and stapling (just using staples to hold it up then going around with screws and washers to secure it).

so need to finish HW cloth, roof on the roof covered part (hopefully this weekend), boards across the HW cloth covered part so I can put the HW cloth on that. Then just trimming things out. Oh and 2nd coat of Blackjack 57. HOPING to be done before the 20th since we are camping the 21-23rd and I would like to start putting them out during the day around then and then have them out full time the week after that.

I took them off heat completely on Mon. took out the MHP today and gave them a 2nd roosting bar in its place.

I had to take HC breaks too.
Glad it isn't just me!

I am not used to using my hand like that. OMG after the first day of doing under the coop, and a couple sections of the run so cutting a ton with the wire cutters then stapling it my hand was KILLING! so did less yesterday but still got quite a bit done. Just couldn't do a 3rd day in a row. Not that painting was a ton better for my wrist, but I did use my other hand more with the painting so hopefully that helped.

My daughters prom is Friday so I need to do her hair, help her get ready etc. so not sure how much I will get done then. and I have my 5 yr old grand daughter tomorrow but may see if she will behave and play outside while I get the 2nd coat of blackjack 57 on. then do the HW cloth on Sat. since I want to give that enough time to cure and would really like them out of my house in about 10-14 days tops. LOL

Back
Top Bottom