coop design questions

I would.

For chickens acclimated to your usual temperatures the occasional weeks in the high 80's to low 90's would be like the weeks of high 90's and 100's for chickens acclimated to my climate. Additional airflow is good then.

Make it so that you can open it different amounts for different conditions to keep the inside the same temperature as the outside.
Yes it will swing up to open and have a chain to hold it so can have open a little to a lot.

Would you match the other side too? Thinking we should

Yes it will swing up to open and have a chain to hold it so can have open a little to a lot.

Would you match the other side too? Thinking we should

That's probably a good idea to promote airflow on calm days and to allow you to close one side or the other when it storms.

Living in MA some 25-30 years ago was the first time I'd been in a place where storms could come from any direction (I have the same thing happening here in central NC too).

That's probably a good idea to promote airflow on calm days and to allow you to close one side or the other when it storms.

Living in MA some 25-30 years ago was the first time I'd been in a place where storms could come from any direction (I have the same thing happening here in central NC too).
Yes they can. Lol

Gables are cute and fly rafter done. Now to start to cover with hardware cloth, then frame them inside since that can be done with rain. With no windows open there is about 11sq ft of ventilation. 2 windows away from roost make it a bit over 14. If all are open it is about 17.5.

Attachments

• IMG_20210429_111939703.jpg
    IMG_20210429_111939703.jpg
    421.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20210429_111931337.jpg
    IMG_20210429_111931337.jpg
    456.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20210429_111920952.jpg
    IMG_20210429_111920952.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20210428_143646690.jpg
    IMG_20210428_143646690.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20210428_143637092.jpg
    IMG_20210428_143637092.jpg
    975.9 KB · Views: 2
Looks great!
Thanks! I can't wait to have it done! still seems to much to do with putting up the HW cloth, framing it all (inside and out) caulking any leaks, shingling it and painting it. but hopefully the coop will be done by next weekend then onto the run which should go much faster, the roof covered run will take a bit more time than the wire covered but both are a lot less labor intensive than the coop.......... Until we get to putting up all the HW cloth, dreading that part of it. haahaa. PRAYING it is done in about 3 weeks that I can get the chicks out there around then since they will be 6 weeks old.

getting closer. Roof is shingled (just need to do the finish on the peak). All the windows have HW cloth on them, 3/4 of the triangles in the gable wall have HW cloth (needed to open a new pack of HW cloth so didn't do the 4th one yet), and one side of the soffits have HW cloth on them!! Hoping Sun to finish the HW cloth, finish the shingles, and frame everything inside. Then next week I can start painting it!!!!! WOOHOO. And hopefully next Sat is nice so we can do the floor and up the walls a bit. Then frame outside and install the electrical stuff for the auto door and the coop is done!!!!!!!!!!!

Then onto the roof covered run.......

sorry back with another question. My husband got some screen to put over the HW cloth to try to keep bees out of the coop. Is the screen going to cut back on ventilation? I don't want to use it if it is going to cut back on it but I really don't want bees nests in my coop and we have a TON of bees around my house.

sorry back with another question. My husband got some screen to put over the HW cloth to try to keep bees out of the coop. Is the screen going to cut back on ventilation? I don't want to use it if it is going to cut back on it but I really don't want bees nests in my coop and we have a TON of bees around my house.

Regular window screen? That shouldn't be a problem unless it gets clogged up with dust from the feather dander and the bedding (you may need to shop-vac the screens regularly if it's a major problem).

What kind of bees are you talking about?

0h7pw5mecir41.jpg

Regular window screen? That shouldn't be a problem unless it gets clogged up with dust from the feather dander and the bedding (you may need to shop-vac the screens regularly if it's a major problem).

What kind of bees are you talking about?

0h7pw5mecir41.jpg
not 100% sure but 95% sure not honeybee and know not bumblebee. maybe paper wasp or yellow jackets? They are mainly around my hummingbird feeders and around my back door. just don't want them building anything in the coop and having me go in there and getting stung. I am not "allergic" but last year I was stung near my elbow and my arm from just above my elbow down swelled up about 2x the size and was itchy for about 2-3 weeks! My main thing is just keeping them out of the coop. And yes it is normal window screen.

Back
Top Bottom