coop design questions

Pics
Trying to figure out some roof ventilation that will work with snow and that is hard.......
Your roof isn't shingled yet, so perfect time to.....
-extend roof at gables to protect some gable vents.
-extend eave overhang for open soffit venting.
- add ridge vents, or a cupola, or a monitor.

Your roof isn't shingled yet, so perfect time to.....
-extend roof at gables to protect some gable vents.
-extend eave overhang for open soffit venting.
- add ridge vents, or a cupola, or a monitor.
one side of the gable will connect to roof covered run so that will be fully open. The other side I think we are just doing a vent there so should be protected. I know my husband was hoping not to have to extend the roof there, there is a slight overhang but not much at all (think and inch or two?). We were thinking about ridge vents but I heard they get blocked in winter by snow and then become useless????

I will have to look up cupola and monitor (isn't that the one that is kind of stand on the roof with another smaller roof over it?)

The eave overhang is 12" on each side so soffits are all open but I was told it only equaled 4 sq ft or just under of ventilation.

Ok we decided we are doing a fly rafter on the one side of the roof that has no covers so we can open that side up fully as well. So above the door the gable area will be pretty much fully open and matching on the other side. We got the windows cut, chicken door in, need to still hook it up the auto part, and human door is in. We brought a few of the babies out to see it today. They mostly hung out on our laps or arms. Haahaa.

Attachments

• IMG_20210427_145742871.jpg
    IMG_20210427_145742871.jpg
    644.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210427_142732325.jpg
    IMG_20210427_142732325.jpg
    924.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20210427_111855864.jpg
    IMG_20210427_111855864.jpg
    863.3 KB · Views: 3
I love it . Cute chicks glad your hanging with them. Also thanks for pictures, we all love them . Your coop is kind of like mine set next to fence and I love it. Mine also is a 4 x 8 elevated

Attachments

• IMG_20200902_154106.jpg
    IMG_20200902_154106.jpg
    850.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20200902_154351.jpg
    IMG_20200902_154351.jpg
    965.2 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20200902_154145.jpg
    IMG_20200902_154145.jpg
    656.1 KB · Views: 2
I love it . Cute chicks glad your hanging with them. Also thanks for pictures, we all love them . Your coop is kind of like mine set next to fence and I love it. Mine also is a 4 x 8 elevated
Nice coop! We are thinking of putting plexiglass in the top of the door to let light in there as well. I need to see where there heads will be and may put a vent at the top of the door as well. We love spending time with the chicks. They all jump out of their brooder (dog crate) and sit on my arms or lap while I sit there, well shouldn't say all since a couple of them still won't do that but I do make sure to take them out and hold them for a few before I let them back in. But even one of my more reserved ones jumped out today and sat on my legs and I was so happy!!!!!!!

I can't wait till mine is done and I can paint it. I love your colors!

Thank you. We had old windows around and put the glass panes back in. Then we built a chix wire screen door for ventilation on back door. When their little needs ventilation up high but when the roost you don't want wind at roost height. So wait in the vent till they are roosting as hens. The wind is horrible at times out here on plains so are winters so I focused more on protection the ventilation . I may be sorry cause I've never gone through a summer with mine but it's breezy and shady so we shall see. Plus I don't have bad humidity like some places. I'm so glad they like you that much, you will have SO much fun with them ! I only have 5 but even my hubby has fun with them now.

Ok we decided we are doing a fly rafter on the one side of the roof that has no covers so we can open that side up fully as well.
Good move!
It looks like there is no overhang at all.
You'll also be glad when standing on the porch in the rain.
Will the run roof be a direct extension of the coop roof?

Thanks. How do you know if it is too much air movement for a summer day? I mean if we had a storm I wouldn't have it open or our cooler summer days. But it will be like right around their head area if not lower so not even like just a tiny bit over them but right on them. I don't want them getting chilled or hurt them even in the summer when it is warm by having too much.
If the ribbon (in my previously mentioned test) is fluttering noticeably, then that's a lot of air movement. Slight fluttering is just fine.

Just because a window or vent is right next to a roost doesn't mean it'll be an issue. My top roost is sandwiched between two windows and both are open 99% of the time, through rain, snow, windstorms. The only time they get closed if we get a windstorm with rain/snow blowing directly in the direction of the windows as that can drive precipitation into the coop, however generally our winds blow from the south, which has no windows.

Thank you. We had old windows around and put the glass panes back in. Then we built a chix wire screen door for ventilation on back door. When their little needs ventilation up high but when the roost you don't want wind at roost height. So wait in the vent till they are roosting as hens. The wind is horrible at times out here on plains so are winters so I focused more on protection the ventilation . I may be sorry cause I've never gone through a summer with mine but it's breezy and shady so we shall see. Plus I don't have bad humidity like some places. I'm so glad they like you that much, you will have SO much fun with them ! I only have 5 but even my hubby has fun with them now.
Ya I am going to wait until I have the poop boards and roosts built and then measure up 2' to see since I have Cochins and Brahma's (plus others) which will be big girls. :)

I grew up breeding and raising bantams. I have missed them so excited to have chickens again, but went with standards this time. I am starting with 10... We will see how that goes before I figure out if I want to add more or not. :)

Back
Top Bottom