coop design questions

Pics

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
This is basically the coop we are planning on building. it is 4x8. We are going to have a run coming off one of the 8' sides. The run will be a covered 8x10 run (may add on an uncovered section but need to lay it out in the space we are planning on putting it to see how much room). My question is where should I put the windows, door to get in it for us, and the nest box since one of the 8' sides will be facing a covered run. Planning on putting wire covered only windows up in the peak of the roof on both sides for ventilation and then under the eves will be all open covered with wire for more ventilation. But want windows for light and also that can be opened in the summer when it is hotter out. one 4' side will be about 8-10' way from a 6ft fence.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-02-11 DIY Project - 4x8 Backyard Chicken Coop MyOutdoorPlans Free Woodworking ...png
    Screenshot_2021-02-11 DIY Project - 4x8 Backyard Chicken Coop MyOutdoorPlans Free Woodworking ...png
    1.5 MB · Views: 102
I would put big doors on the 8’ side, so that you can easily clean and reach the whole coop.

Maybe a big window on a 4’ side. And a window above the nest box?
Thank you. I was thinking door on 8' side for cleaning purposes thinking in the middle of it? maybe I can put smaller windows on either side of that? then one above nest boxes if there is going to be a ventilation hole on that peak........

Oh should I put the roosts going the long way or short way? I will have 8 chickens standards. and how many roosts?

If 8 is the max number you're going to get, a single roost running across the 8' width would be fine, or two running across 4' width.

As far as location of windows and vents, it really depends - many people like having windows for light on west and east sides to maximize light coming in at sunrise and sunset (I have 2 facing east, 2 facing west). Open ventilation that can't be closed, you need to consider the wind directions in your area. So for me I have no window and only small louvered vents on south wall, as that's where my predominate winds blow from.

I agree human access door should be in center of the 8' wall so that you can reach as much of the coop as possible from the doorway.

If 8 is the max number you're going to get, a single roost running across the 8' width would be fine, or two running across 4' width.

As far as location of windows and vents, it really depends - many people like having windows for light on west and east sides to maximize light coming in at sunrise and sunset (I have 2 facing east, 2 facing west). Open ventilation that can't be closed, you need to consider the wind directions in your area. So for me I have no window and only small louvered vents on south wall, as that's where my predominate winds blow from.

I agree human access door should be in center of the 8' wall so that you can reach as much of the coop as possible from the doorway.
Thank you. The windows will be able to be closed and will only be used for ventilation/air during the hotter months. We have a 6ft fence around our back yard and the coop will be close to it on one side so it doesn't get very windy back there. I have never noticed they winds mainly blowing in one direction here they seem to come from all over. Thanks for info on directions the windows face I didn't even think of that.

I would put big doors on the 8’ side, so that you can easily clean and reach the whole coop.
This. Definitely.

Maybe even big double doors. The easier it is to access all corners of the coop the better.

My Little Monitor Coop is 4x4 and, while I can easily reach with the manure fork for cleaning, I'm too short to reach to take a bird off the perch for examination.

The windows will be able to be closed and will only be used for ventilation/air during the hotter months.
What will you do for winter ventilation?
Will the soffits be open?
Will you have something between the metal roofing and the purlins supporting it to prevent condenstation?

This. Definitely.

Maybe even big double doors. The easier it is to access all corners of the coop the better.

My Little Monitor Coop is 4x4 and, while I can easily reach with the manure fork for cleaning, I'm too short to reach to take a bird off the perch for examination.
I am short and the coops is about 4' tall on the sides so I should be able to climb in there with out too much bending over. :)

What will you do for winter ventilation?
Will the soffits be open?
Will you have something between the metal roofing and the purlins supporting it to prevent condenstation?
I am a little construction dumb so don't know all the terms sorry. Thankfully my husband is not. I am not sure exactly what the soffits are, I know it is something near the roof. :) and no clue what purlins are?

the top on the 4' side where the roof comes together to form the peak will have openings in them probably in the same triangle shape as the roofline on both side. Like in the first picture above where they have there door they have the small square "window" I am planning on doing a bigger triangle one there. Then all under the roof on the 8' sides will be open before the walls start (is that the soffits?) so the 2x4's will go over the walls and roof sitting on that so there will be that gap open with the hardware cloth blocking it from anything getting in. Same with the spot at the peak that will be cut out. Should that be enough or should there be skinny longer spots cut out at the top of the 8' sides as well?

oh and we aren't doing the roof metal. it will be wood with shingles. Should that help prevent condensation?

Then all under the roof on the 8' sides will be open before the walls start (is that the soffits?) so the 2x4's will go over the walls and roof sitting on that so there will be that gap open with the hardware cloth blocking it from anything getting in.
Yes. Go with big roof overhangs(~12")...on gable ends too, to protect that winter ventilation.

oh and we aren't doing the roof metal. it will be wood with shingles. Should that help prevent condensation?
Yes. Tho it can still happen, it's rare.

Back
Top Bottom