Coop door lock suggestions

CKfarm22

Crowing
Jul 8, 2021
Central NJ
I need suggestions for a coop door latch/lock. Has to be predator proof but also will not lock me in the coop lol. I wanted to use the sliding lock but it’s too big for the door trim…. and i can’t use a t-lock because of the door supports…

Any other ideas??

Pictures of your door?
B30CA97C-CA41-4A4F-9E2C-DC03743D57D9.jpeg

I don’t have any of the inside but the door has a 2x4 rectangle frame on it, with the 2” side attached to the door

Good idea. Our door has warped and the bottom doesn't shut good. We ended up putting a barrel bolt latch down low, to help hold the door shut.
Our door has warped, too, because it was made of particle board (composite) instead of plywood. Particle board has many of the properties of cardboard when wet. 🙄 Especially the top, when exposed to the elements. I wish I had removed it and purchased a real door but it looked so nice it didn't occur to me to look closer. And it's not a standard size, I would have to get one custom built.

Our door has warped, too, because it was made of particle board (composite) instead of plywood. Particle board has many of the properties of cardboard when wet. 🙄 Especially the top, when exposed to the elements. I wish I had removed it and purchased a real door but it looked so nice it didn't occur to me to look closer. And it's not a standard size, I would have to get one custom built.
Here’s some ways you can fix a warped door:

One way we did it for our shed door was using an aluminum flat bar. Attach one side to the hinge side and one side to the latch side on a diagonal.

Back
Top Bottom