Coop door question

Leaving the door open at night is a major predator issue. Also, frostbite. My hens realized how loved they were when I lock them inside the coop at night. And in the morning, that snow was cold! They enjoy being dry and warm and safe.

Leaving the door open at night is a major predator issue. Also, frostbite. My hens realized how loved they were when I lock them inside the coop at night. And in the morning, that snow was cold! They enjoy being dry and warm and safe.
Thank you. ♥️ We’re going to get an insulated curtain to hang to keep the cold out for them. Our friend that farms recommended it. When it snows we will lock them in We plan to winterize the coop 💕 even though our winters are fairly mild don’t wanna risk it.

Hiiii
My hens love the cold and snow, coop wide open, heat, not so much.
our pullets (4) have been living outside for four months now. They’re doing so well. My hubby built an enclosed run several weeks ago that was a game changer. I have lined the sides of the run with firewood.
We live in a small neighborhood in New Jersey. We had a hawk issue but since putting this up and some decoy owls, all has been well.
We have never shut their coop door. New Jersey winters aren’t unbearable, but will that opening be an issue come colder months ?
Thanks 😊
View attachment 2324201View attachment 2324203

Large Metal Chicken Coop Walk-in Poultry Cage Hen Run House Rabbits Habitat Cage Spire Shaped Coop with Waterproof and Anti-Ultraviolet Cover for Outdoor Backyard Farm Use (10' L x 13' W x 6.4' H) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YFLGSYX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_HrTvFbWX4045
That’s the run we have. It’s PVC coated mesh wiring. We lined the bottom with firewood. We are also fencing in our yard too.

That's a really nice enclosure for daytime and if you don't have a predator problem during the day. However, most of our predators come around at night. Chicken wire is just for keeping chickens in, not keeping predators out.
With that being said, leaving the door open (as long as you don't have a predator problem) is not a big issue if it isn't really cold out at night. The coops need to have some "breathing" openings and shouldn't be airtight. My own henhouse is huge (6'x8' and 8'tall) and there is a walk-in door for me and a small door with a ramp for the hens. The small door is always open. However, the henhouse is also surrounded by a 12x20 fully-roofed pen that is made of heavy lumber and hardware cloth (the wire mesh with 1/2" squares that most predators can't get through.
I think most of the other people answering have been, like me, more concerned with predators than the cold.

I've never posted here before but I used to live in NJ (Colobia) and my wife and I did cat rescue. We kept them in he garage for short periods and fed them there. Racoons were a major problem. They are strong and managed to bend the screen door to the back of our garage. I watched them one night because we were worried it was kids. They are everywhere and massive. My brother trapped them in PA in the 70's and I never saw anything like these creatures. To the point get a auto opening door with automatic lock feature, make sure they cannot get their fingers around the edge or they will pull the door off. Hardware cloth around windows and like others said that run won't keep them out. There are also lots of skunks and possums i saw the occasional fox and coyote in the local park by us. Hawks are the least of your concern. Raccoons won't wait until winter. Where I live now foxes, weasels Martin's and hawks are my bain. Have a similar run to shelter from snow and rain but its open to their feed area but my coop is fort knox. Lock down the coop first and deal with rest later.

Back
Top Bottom