BzKneez

Chirping
Mar 14, 2019
I need some advice about what to do about a new rooster attacking an older hen. Here's the coop scoop :)

I had two Auracana hens that are about 4. I purchased six chicks in February. Two of each: Easter Eggers, Buff Orppingtons and Silkie Bantams. All guaranteed to be hens except for silkies which weren't sexed. I must have found a bad breeder because all of these breeds are supposed to be friendly and most of the chicks are (or were) crazy. I got rid of the two Easter Eggers because they were both wild as march hares and kept the chicks in constant upheaval. I did my best to socialize the new ones from the start. Only one Buff Orppington and 1 silkie (Dumpling) have been friendly. The other silkie is the runt and he's just scared and/or bashful despite my efforts to socialize him.. Dumpling is definitely a rooster and I'm not sure about the black one yet. I wanted a rooster and choose the silkies because I was told by several people that they were generally nice roosters.

I introduced the new chicks gradually and ultimately integrated the flocks as advised for introducing new flocks to old flocks. Things seemed to be going okay until this week. They were pretty well integrated though they hung out in their original flocks mostly. They are staying in one coop and eating together.

One Buffy started laying this week. Last week, Dumpling has been strutting his stuff more and trying to mate with one of the Buffys (I can't tell them apart but I'm pretty sure it's the one that's laying). He's always been pretty friendly but not as friendly now, and never as friendly as I'd hoped he be. I'm not sure if this is playing into anything; but two weeks ago my head chicken Auracana (Molay) got a stopped up crop. We were able to clear it and she's okay now but was sickly for a few days. Yesterday I noticed that she and her sister (Picatta) were fighting pretty bad (very unusual) and that Molay was staying away from the other flock. Picatta is still hanging with her most of the day but also hangs out with the new flock. This morning, both Picatta and Dumpling attacked Molay. I wasn't sure if the rooster was going to stop so I intervened and shooed them apart. That upset Dumpling and he's kept his flock away from the other two all day. The new chickens didn't eat with the other two in their regular spot and Dumpling wouldn't eat worms out of my hand today. When the others attempted to come over, he herded them away. The two old girls are still fighting a little but hanging out together for the most part. Molay is staying pretty isolated, hiding and won't go near the others.

I think I have a general idea of what's probably going on: Dumpling is trying to take over the lead role. Will he kill her or is he just pushing her around a bit?) Can someone explain to me what's happening and what I should do (if anything)? I do not want Molay to get hurt but I also don't want to alienate the new chicks, and want to do whatever I can to restore peace.

Any and all assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Becky

Your roosters are trying to fill a role they are not yet mature enough to do in the setting provided. Once my males start showing interest in trying to breed mature hens, I place them in a setting with no females. Then keep them well cared for until their adult feathers are fully grown in. By that time a male can operate decisively as a rooster where the females will not be inclined to challenge him and he will be able to perform organized mating attempts where gets things right. Hens are generally not keen on mating with males that do not have their dance moves down or a male sounding voice.

Your roosters are trying to fill a role they are not yet mature enough to do in the setting provided. Once my males start showing interest in trying to breed mature hens, I place them in a setting with no females. Then keep them well cared for until their adult feathers are fully grown in. By that time a male can operate decisively as a rooster where the females will not be inclined to challenge him and he will be able to perform organized mating attempts where gets things right. Hens are generally not keen on mating with males that do not have their dance moves down or a male sounding voice.
Thank you for your reply. That information is very helpful. I've done a lot of reading and so far, hadn't seen that suggestion. It makes sense. When you say a "setting with no females" does that mean that you put him in a separate coop? I have a large coop and a small coop inside a pretty large, enclosed area. I let them free range in the large area all day and they go in the coop at night. Would it be cruel to keep him cooped up while the others are out? I don't want to drive him insane ;)

Back
Top Bottom