Coop Familiarity

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fenceman48, Sep 13, 2011.

1. fenceman48

fenceman48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2011
    Senoia, Ga
    How long should you keep the chickens in the coop before you let them out to forage? Will they make it back to the house for roosting?

2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    [​IMG]

I have to catch mine and put them back for a few weeks, but usually once they're 5 weeks they get moved out [​IMG]

3. fenceman48

Sep 13, 2011
    Senoia, Ga
    The ones I got are 16-20 weeks old. Guess I'll try it tomorrow & see how it works.

4. so lucky

so lucky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2011
    SE Missouri
    Have you had them in the coop for at least a couple of weeks? If so, and you just let them out an hour before dusk at first, you should have no problems. Even as strong as their drive to forage is, the drive to go home to roost before dark is greater.

5. Florida_country_boy

Florida_country_boy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    You shouldn't have any problems with 16-20 week olds. That was when mine did everything perfect and put themselves to bed in the coop. Now that they are older they are trying to roost on my deck every night.

6. fenceman48

Sep 13, 2011
    Senoia, Ga
    Let them out about 5 P.M. They had a big time. Foraged about & just before dark, after much preening, the rooster started looking at the door. He tried to fly up a couple of times, & then he managed to hop up on the ladder. Two hens followed & then into the coop they went. Two more with one left outside. It took her about 15 minutes to figure it out. I was pleased. About 45 minutes later, my self built automatic door closed for the night. Going to let them out all day tomorrow. Door should open about 7:30 A.M.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by