Coop feedback?

Disheygirl

Songster
Mar 21, 2021
Indianapolis, IN
I talked my SO into repurposing our garden shed into a coop for our eight girls. This is current state. He did some of his own research and read somewhere that the nest boxes should be no lower than whatever height you see them (can’t remember off the top of my head), which means the roosts are up there. He made the ramp, but it may be a little steep? I was planning on wrapping the roosts and the ramp with some sort of textured rope so they can get a good grip. Worst case, I can put thick bedding in the bottom to raise the floor a bit, and attach a lip at the door so it doesn’t spill out.

Still need to attach the door to the run, which is about two feet away. Also installed the attic fan (whatever that metal thing is called) and a fan up top to keep air moving.

Feedback on anything that looks like it could be problematic?

Attachments

• 387083C6-2AED-4461-ADDE-6D67CCAFB6AA.jpeg
    387083C6-2AED-4461-ADDE-6D67CCAFB6AA.jpeg
    400.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 893A267D-34AF-4B70-8237-2D7019BD1559.jpeg
    893A267D-34AF-4B70-8237-2D7019BD1559.jpeg
    417.2 KB · Views: 28
  • 9CF24789-9769-4213-9167-BED6F5E18EAD.jpeg
    9CF24789-9769-4213-9167-BED6F5E18EAD.jpeg
    652.5 KB · Views: 27
Nest boxes can be almost any height actually, like mine are on the floor. Are you happy with where the nests are for your convenience? As long as you are, then they're ok where they sit.

Ramp may be on the steep side, but hard to tell from photos. Under 45 degrees is what you'd want to aim for, somewhere around 30-35 degrees would be even better.

With roosts high up you will need a good amount of bedding to reduce injuries as the birds come off the roosts.

How close is that top roost to the wall? Looks close but again photos can be deceiving.

What do the soffits look like? Are they open for ventilation or can they be opened up? That'd be great ventilation for winter (when you're likely to have windows shut) and summer.

Nest boxes can be almost any height actually, like mine are on the floor. Are you happy with where the nests are for your convenience? As long as you are, then they're ok where they sit.

Ramp may be on the steep side, but hard to tell from photos. Under 45 degrees is what you'd want to aim for, somewhere around 30-35 degrees would be even better.

With roosts high up you will need a good amount of bedding to reduce injuries as the birds come off the roosts.

How close is that top roost to the wall? Looks close but again photos can be deceiving.

What do the soffits look like? Are they open for ventilation or can they be opened up? That'd be great ventilation for winter (when you're likely to have windows shut) and summer.
Made some changes - put another roost at about the same height as the lower one and took off the high one. Attached the ramp to the nest box to adjust the angle and they can hop from one to the other if they want. I am trying the bedding that 3killerBs wrote about so I have two more bags of horse shavings and some pine needles coming - should add considerable fluff to the floor (one bag in there now).

No soffits but we installed an exhaust fan and can open up more of the upper portion if need be. Whatever they originally built this thing with - the wood is legit. Very thick and hard to saw through. Good that it’s sturdy, but it’s hard to make modifications to.

We also built a tunnel using some pex that the plumbers left - we just re-plumbed our house - so it was nice to re-use the leftover!

I think I have enough room for a few more chickens. 😬

Attachments

• 9899306F-71C0-4338-A14E-3CA3E9CFD826.jpeg
    9899306F-71C0-4338-A14E-3CA3E9CFD826.jpeg
    434.3 KB · Views: 19
  • BA9854A4-D11D-4722-B8F7-8E2D20934795.jpeg
    BA9854A4-D11D-4722-B8F7-8E2D20934795.jpeg
    614.4 KB · Views: 18
  • E63CA64C-9754-4BD5-AAB3-D9BA96D77B2A.jpeg
    E63CA64C-9754-4BD5-AAB3-D9BA96D77B2A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • 533402F9-95FA-4128-B9A3-9B832392C7FB.jpeg
    533402F9-95FA-4128-B9A3-9B832392C7FB.jpeg
    462.6 KB · Views: 21
I should also mention that I have hardware cloth on the first 24” of the Omlet run. Bought the green stuff so it blends in. Going to make more pex tunnels to replace that omlet tunnel I rigged up...they’re only allowed out on the grass when I’m with them because the tunnel is not hawk or fox-safe.

So, I’ve looked in on them for the past few nights and they are…goofy. Three sit on top of the nest boxes. They try to nestle under each other - it’s a contest who can be stuffed in the corner. It’s summer - they have a fan, but still…not sure why they do that.

Then two sit IN the window. Doesn’t look comfy and there really isn‘t a wide place for feet, but they do it. Two more are stuffed against the wall on a roost bar, and then the “mean girl” is like one chicken length away from the two stuffed against the wall, sitting at an angle. She likes to patrol the roost before they settle in.

I guess it works? Should I put some more roost levels in? I have eight girls.

I like that you took down really high roost bar (looked too close to wall ) and lowered angle of ramp. I was going to suggest putting an angled roof of sorts on nest boxes as they'll roost and poop on the covering if them them, or in the leading edge of them. Something slick would be great or pointy so they don't jump up there
No rope on bar can't be cleaned of poop. I think chickens love to be near windows but as they grow they can't hang there for long. How long is your roost bar and how many hens do you have. ?

I like that you took down really high roost bar (looked too close to wall ) and lowered angle of ramp. I was going to suggest putting an angled roof of sorts on nest boxes as they'll roost and poop on the covering if them them, or in the leading edge of them. Something slick would be great or pointy so they don't jump up there
No rope on bar can't be cleaned of poop. I think chickens love to be near windows but as they grow they can't hang there for long. How long is your roost bar and how many hens do you have. ?

Eight hens and the two roost bars (not including the nest boxes that three of them sleep on) are nine feet (4 feet and 5 feet). Good point about the poop on rope bars - plus, less work. :)

I have three groups, all of whom I got as chicks - the first three I got in March (the mean girl + two in the window - before I moved them to the new spot, they would roost together), two that I got on April 1st (the two smooshed up against the side with the mean girl keeping watch), and then I got the three who are all piled on top of each other on the nest boxes mid-April. The younger five socialize together, but if they group off, it’s always in the three groups. The original three are definitely all alpha, with the mean girl in command. Do they ever just integrate and become one, even if they keep a social order? They’ve all been together for a few months now and almost grew up together, but they still keep to their little cliques.

Do they ever just integrate and become one, even if they keep a social order? They’ve all been together for a few months now and almost grew up together, but they still keep to their little cliques.
This is normal even with fully integrated flocks. Most birds seem to prefer their original brood group (I say "most" because sometimes a bird will decide they prefer a different group, i.e. my 3 yr old FBCM mostly hangs out with the 5 yr olds), but should mingle with the the other birds on and off during the day.

Back
Top Bottom