coop finished

Also - I have this (irrational?) fear of predators digging under, or even tipping over my coop. Do you think that would be a problem with this design?

ohbejoyful,

Thank you! I was worried about my lawn before I got my chicks (I've pampered it for years) but I really love my chicks so I think I can live with a less than pristine yard!

I really don't know how tall the coop is but I'm 5'8" and I can stand up straight in it with a little room to spare.

As far as predators, digging under it - yes I'm sure they can, although my yard is fenced around the coop. I know we have opossums but I've never seen any in my yard - would they be a threat to chickens? My neighbor has a pair of hawks raising two young in his back yard but I don't let my chicks out unless I'm home and in the yard. And, no - it won't tip over - it is far too heavy!

This is our tractor and we've never had anything try to dig under it or tip it over
fl.gif
....although ours is pretty heavy...i'd think ours would be easier to tip than yours.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3724

newchick,

I saw your tractor when you first posted it and I love it!
smile.png

Your new coop is what Martha Stewart would be proud to have in her magazine! My DH worked hard to make our coop look attractive, like a mini-house, so our neighbors would remain positively inclined toward our chicken project. We wanted to be an example of how a good-looking coop could actually enhance your property, so maybe our neighbors would get them too. As it is, two neighbors are interested! Good for future chick swaps, advice, etc.

Love the coop.

I've got a few questions.

How easy is it to clean out? Do you have to clean it by way of the door that opens that shows the roost?

What do you use as flooring litter?

Do your chickens get on the flat top of the coop box? Is it hard to keep clean?

I showed this to DH & said "I want one like that". He said "no problem". He has several other things on my want list to do first, but I'm sure I will have one as soon as he has time.

Great pictures.

Jean

Rafter,

Well, first, I haven’t had to clean it yet – my chicks won’t get in it by themselves. They are six weeks old and I don’t think they have the hang of being chickens yet! I have to go out every night and put them to bed.

I use pine shavings. I also put the shavings on top to the nest box to be raked on the floor of the roost, then the floor of the roost comes out to empty the litter into a tub. Anyway, that’s the plan. I put my chicks in at night and at first light they are out. I’ve never seen them go in on their own. Hopefully they will one day!

Have you tried putting the feed and water INSIDE the coop, so that they will see they have to go in for it? Also, is your coop dark, or does it have a window or two for light? They won't go into a dark "hole" when there is light outside. Also, even when it is getting dusk outside, the inside of a windowless coop is even darker.
Just a thought.

Well, I have food and water inside also and there is a window on the back. On the inside of the coop the box doesn't extend all the way to the top so there is plenty of light.

Back
Top Bottom